Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Searching for a Sailmaker

28 February 2007 | Recife
Julie
Despite the efforts of the Yacht Club, we were not able to get our sail repaired in Maceo. At the end of the day, what we understood was �sailmaker Maceo thumbs down, sailmaker Recife, thumbs up.� So we set sail for Recife at about 10am.

Luckily for us, the wind was perfect for using our small staysail and we were able to average 6-7 knots all day and night. We sailed close to the coast and were amazed at how developed the entire coastline is. It was a nice sail with fairly calm seas and a bright moon. As we approached Recife at about 4am, it was much larger than we had expected, but the lights were quite helpful for our approach in the dark.

We had no trouble entering the breakwater and we got situated on a mooring in front of the Pernambico Yacht Club (PIC) by about 5am. We had heard that there is a sailmaker that works out of the Cabunga Yacht Club, so set up our dinghy and motored across the river to the YC. We ran into our friend Ben and went ashore in search of a sailmaker.

As luck would have it, the sailmaker just happened to be there and said he would be able to do the repair and have the sail back by morning. Best news we have had in a long time. Of course, it�s not back yet, but we are hopeful!

From the YC, we took a bus into the ciudad which is large but quaint. There are rivers that run through it with pedestrain bridges not so unlike Amsterdam. We saw some beautiful buildings and churches and spent a great deal of the morning looking for mosquito netting, as we have both been getting eaten alive. Our sign language for `mosquito netting�was quite hilarious, but we did find it in the end.

Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI