20 February 2005 | Dry Tortugas
To take a break from boat repairs, we sailed (or rather motored due to no wind) out to Dry Tortugas, about 70 miles west of Key West and explored Fort Jefferson. Interestingly, construction of this massive fortress was begun in 1846 but never completed, as the invention of the rifled canon made it obsolete. In 1935, FDR set aside Fort Jefferson and the surrounding waters as a national monument. The area remains very much the same today, with the exception of a few signs and guard rails.