Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

The Kuna Yala

11 August 2007 | San Blas, Panama
Julie
Since we have been anchored quite a distance offshore, we have had limited contact with the Kuna people, although we see the men fishing in their dugout canoes (ulas) each morning and afternoon. There is a fish camp on the tiny island here which is run in turn by two families whose main residence is on another island closer to the mainland. Yesterday morning two women and a man paddled over to collect a $5 anchoring fee which is good for one month. We got an official receipt, so it seemed pretty legit.

After much strife in the late 1930s, the Kuna leaders were granted almost autonomous rule by the Panamanian government in the now officially recognized Comarca de San Blas. Today about 55,000 Kunas live in the island group, leading basically the same simple existence of seventy years ago. Their main source of food is fish and they use the mainland rivers for water, hunting and growing basic crops. Their huts are made from nothing more than palm fronds and cane. Each village is led by a first sahila and a few deputy sahilas, who oversee everything from hut building to agriculture. On the inhabited islands, yachties may be required to visit to a "congreso" in order to pay respect to the sahila and pay a small fee in exchange for the right to voice any grievances, should, say a pair of flip-flops go missing.

Probably what the Kunas are most known for are their molas, which are beautifully colorful and intricate designs appliqued on layers of fabric. Depending on the size, number of layers and the quality of the stitching, they can fetch upwards of $50 for a small square. When we were in Chichime, we were visited by Venancio, one of the most well-known and respected mola makers. He showed us each of his probably 50 designs, and after about thirty minutes of negotiation, we bought a few our favorites. Although the Kunas are extremely friendly and gentle people, they seem to have become quite shrewd businessmen, likely as a result of their increasing interaction with yachties.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI