Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Good Progress, Reefing Lessons, and Spicy Fish Soup

05 November 2007 | Eight Miles Off El Salvador
Chris
We are on track for a 160 mile day over the ground, despite a half a knot of current against us. We had good brisk winds yesterday that were just forward of the beam for most of the day. We also caught a large Sierra which will make excellent ceviche.

We had to take two reefs while crossing the Gulf of Fonseca because the wind piped up to just below a gale (25-30 knots). Reefing reduces the sail area in order to sail in stronger winds.

Andrew was keen to learn how to take a reef so we had lesson number one this morning in light wind. Cisnecito is set up to be reefed from the center cockpit. Reefing lines are on the port side of the cockpit and the main halyard on the starboard side to make it easy. She also has separate tack lines for each reef, so you never need to leave the cockpit to reef. The process is fairly straight forward. The main halyard is eased, which lowers the main sail, and slack is taken up on the reefing lines, which pull the sail down reducing the area exposed to the wind. Often this is easier said than done. In high winds it can be tricky especially to avoid damaging sails and luff hardware.

Julie made excellent super spicy fish soup for dinner last night. Even after giving away large fillets of Mahi Mahi to other sailboats at Marina Puesta del Sol, we still had fish left over. The marina staff was nice enough to let us use their freezer while we traveled inland. Julie put lots of hot peppers in the soup and a little coconut cream which cut the spiciness nicely. We dipped handmade corn tortillas in the soup that we bought in the village next to the marina.

The picture above is leaving Marina Puesta del Sol with San Cristobal in the background.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI