Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Sleepy Little Fishing Village, A Real Treat

14 November 2007 | Puerto Angel, Mexico
Julie
Before we had a chance to go ashore, the Port Captain arrived with few navy guys. He came aboard with one of the guys and could not have been nicer. We filled out one form and then he said that he would take our papers ashore to make copies for us and we could pick them up in one hour.

We took the dinghy in and landed on the beach with the dozens of other pangas, although our landing was not nearly as spectacular as theirs. They go full throttle onto the beach, lifting the outboard at the very last minute and come to a stop about ten feet up the beach. It really is pretty cool.

Chris and I walked through town and up the hill on the other side of the bay where there were some cute little b&b's, papelerias (tiny markets) and restaurants. The beaches are very nice with white sand and clear water. It's a sleepy little fishing village with very few tourists and the locals are all very nice, not pushy trying to get you to go sportfishing or eat in their restaurants. The anchorage is beautiful - we were the only sailboat among the fishing pangas.

To my delight, fresh fruits and vegetables have become very easy to come by. There is great variety and some interesting things that we haven't seen before. We had lunch in a little place that was crowded with locals. Chris had a torta which is basically a sandwich on a flat round roll. I had fish soup which was a bowl of thick red broth with a full fish tail in it - skin, bones and all. It was not the best presentation, but it was actually quite excellent.

After lunch we got our papers from the Port Captain and Chris and Andrew went snorkeling while I went for a kayak. There were a few coves and some neat rocks and caves to explore. I am listening to the book "Water for Elephants" on my iPod which I like to do when I kayak. It makes the time fly.

In the evening we went ashore for beers and juice. We had the pleasure of sitting just in front of a pack of dogs that were barking and fighting, among other things. It made for a comical happy hour. We had dinner onboard - grilled fish and vegetables and salad. Although I love it, it was a nice change from Mexican.

We left just before seven this morning and are headed to Puerto Escondido, 35 miles northwest (I double-checked the mileage this time!). Apparently PE has one of the best breaks in the world and this weekend is an international surfing competition. Should be a fun time!
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI