Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Mexican Pipeline

16 November 2007 | Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Chris
The surfing competition got underway at about 7AM. We can hear the announcer and music from where we are anchored. After coffee, breakfast, and the Amigo Net on our SSB radio, I took Julie ashore so she could go for a walk.

The anchorage is a little rolly so Andrew and I rigged a stern anchor to keep the bow pointed in to the swell. The breeze is onshore during the day and offshore at night. There are a couple of hours during the transition when the breeze is off so the boat swings beam to the swell with out a stern anchor. This is pretty uncomfortable as the boat rolls hard from beam to beam.

We used the dinghy to take our spare anchor near the beach. Once it was heaved overboard from the dinghy, we took up slack from the stern of Cisnecito and the boat pointed comfortably bow in to the swell and virtually no roll.

Next Andrew went up the mast to fix windex which a frigate had bent. Then we set up the sun awning, replaced a broken hinge on the refrigerator and emptied our jerry cans of diesel in to the boats tanks. It took us about 2 hours to complete all this which was perfect as Julie was just finishing her walk.

After I picked her up we readied ourselves to go ashore. Andrew went looking for the town center and Julie and I went to the surfing beach. We had lunch of ham and cheese tortas (Mexican sandwiches with avocado, tomato, and jalapenos) and a limonada (lime, sugar and carbonated water). Then we rented an umbrella and two beach chairs.

The surf looked awesome so I swam back to the boat to get my board. I had two really fun sessions. I am not any good but I love it. The waves here are perfect and the water is warm.

Julie enjoyed her book and we saw Andrew paddling the kayak out beyond the breakers. Around sunset we headed back to Cisnecito.

Unfortunately, someone had stolen the kill switch key from our outboard so we had to jerry rig it to get back to the boat. It is impossible to secure everything on a dinghy when you take it ashore. We had locked the outboard, fuel tank, anchor, and dinghy to a metal post. Of course the fuel cap, drain plug, kill switch key are all easily removed.

Sometimes I take the kill switch with me but this time I forgot. I think you just need to expect a fair amount of attrition in these situations.

Captain Cook once cut off a man's ear for stealing from his ship. While I find this barbaric, I certainly understand his frustration.

All and all, it was still a good day capped with fresh dorado ceviche, guacomole, asian fish soup, and Tecate.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI