Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

One More Day

18 December 2007 | Isla Espiritu Santo, Sea of Cortez
Chris
We were supposed to go in to the marina at La Paz today but I could bear it. Instead I told Andrew I needed another day out here. It is just too beautiful and our cruise is coming to an end so I want to savor all the last little morsels. Plus given the responses to my last blog it seemed like a good idea to chill out in nature for a little while.

I pumped up the kayak and went for a 5 hour paddle and hike by myself. It was a surprisingly crisp day with a cloudless sky. Bahia San Gabriel on Isla Espiritu Santo is a lovely large bay with a stunning white sand beach backed by reddish rocky hills and cactus filled washes. There was only one other boat anchored in the bay and it was almost a mile away.

I paddled around the mirror like surface of the inner lagoon watching bait fish and small brightly colored corals under the surface. The perimeter of the lagoon is populated with a very active and noisy frigate colony, pictured above. Shortly after, I went for a hike up the wash at the end of the bay. I hiked it until I could see the water on the other side which took about an hour.

Both Andrew and I will fly home for Christmas so we need to put the boat in a marina. We have a reservation at Marina Costa Baja, the only place that had space for us. Once we get to the marina I feel obligated to hustle and get all the things done that are difficult on anchor. Marinas are the curse of the long-term cruiser. Nothing will sap a cruising kitty faster than marinas. If you are going to cruise long-term on anything other than an infinite budget you probably will want to get your boat very manageable on anchor and avoid marinas as much as possible. Of course marinas are comfortable often with all the amenities you were used to when living on land and the only truly secure way to leave a boat unattended.

Oh yeah in case I did not mention it, we decided not to start our final voyage back to the US, the Baja Bash (Cabo to San Diego), until the New Year. Julie was not able to come back in time to make home before Christmas, the weather was not cooperating, and Cisnecito needed some TLC so we decided to postpone our departure. I have not been home for Christmas in a couple of years and really wanted to see my family and be with Julie and her family too. Although I think Andrew and I could have gutted it out and made the passage home in time the more prudent option was to fly home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI