Clio's Adventures

Windy Loutra.

18 April 2014 | Loutra
Lots of wind from the South
Friday April 18, 2014. Windy Loutra.

Loutra harbour on Kythnos was a bit more filled with boats this time around, but we found a nice spot and performed a perfect stern-to berthing, only slightly delayed by the incompetent rope-throwing technique of the skipper (shame on him). We had arrived just before happy hour and were welcomed, literally with open arms, on the quay by Alkistis, the owner of the Xerolithia restaurant where we spent such great times last year. What we experience over and over again is that for many Greek people human relationships are more important than Euros (they didn't get rich out of us last year). Its a bit hard to get used to again, but it reminds us of pre-historic times when money was not the centre of the universe; it seems to soften life that way.

After getting Clio sorted and secured, we went and get our well-earned drink and a lovely dinner of a giant squid dish and a scorpion fish caught that day, excellently prepared by chef Rose, as vibrant and lovely as ever. We also met Rose's children, Popi and Christos, with which we had a great conversation over dinner about many subjects from E.coli bacteria to how to spent your life. Claude, another 'regular' we met last year, appeared on the scene and we had to strain our brains to get into the French language again, but it was great to meet up with him. We decided to stay over Easter in Loutra.

Friday morning we woke to a beautiful spring day with a clear blue sunny sky and started our day with a walk around Loutra and then joined Claude in the Tavern for coffee. He kindly invited us to have a look at his apartment on the hill which has a stunning view of the bay. He then took us for a drive across the island to the local butcher where he collected many kilos of mince meat for the Tavern. We then drove back to Hora where Chris was able to purchase a hair dryer - what a luxury. We arrived back to Clio for lunch and then Chris enjoyed washing a drying her hair. The wind picked up in the afternoon and Francis was busy assisting boats around us with securing their yachts which were drifting off their anchors and at risk of damage to themselves and other yachts. Once all was secure we settled in for an early night with the heater keeping us nice and warm. After dinner we had a visit from the Englishman Gary who brought us a bottle of wine in appreciation of the help that Francis had given to Aie, his deckhand, in securing their yacht while he had been away in Hora. We had a very interesting discussion about Gary's very colourful experiences over a couple of Metaxas.
Comments
Vessel Name: Clio
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Australia
Crew: Christine and Francis
About: Happy laid-offs, with Greek and Turkish privileges
Extra: Also have a look at http://sailingclio.org/ Map of our 2016 journey anchorages: http://sailingclio.org/Map.html
Home Page: http://sailingclio.org/index.html
Social:
Clio's Photos - Main
These photos were taken on August 2016 of a cave wall on the Ionian island of Zante.
6 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
Some photos from Clio's trip from Gocek to Finike and back in October 2014.
27 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
Photos from the excellent anchorage at Gokayya, Turkey
25 Photos
Created 2 November 2014
These photos were taken by Güçlü (Irmak yachting) to show us the progress while we are in Australia. Thanks Güçlü!
24 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
A collection of underwater photographs, mainly of marine life found during our snorkelling expeditions in Turkey.
20 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
Based on photos taken on 20th of June 2014
26 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
Photos of our journey between 12 and 19 June 2014.
39 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
A selection of photos were converted in water paintings to give a cyber-artist's vision of our expedition, just for the fun of it.
32 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
We stayed a couple of days at the Octopus hotel pontoon. Anchored in Bozuk Buku (first use of long flat-rope landline) and Ciftlik Bay, from where we took the bus to Marmaris.
41 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos were taken between28th of May and 5th of June 2014. Places: Yolluca rock, Perilli, Selimiye, Orhaniya and Marmaris
37 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos from the Yiali anchorage, Tilos, Simi in Greece and Datca in Turkey. From 21 May to 27 Mat 2014.
64 Photos
Created 17 June 2014
Photos from Leros, Kalymnos and Kos, three islands in the Dodecanese. We visited them between 10 and 19th of May, 2014.
50 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
Our photos of Nissos Paros, mid of April 2014
27 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Photos taken during our visit on Amorgos, Greece in the first week of May, 2014.
42 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Some photos we took on Naxos in late April and early May 2014.
31 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
We visited Thira by ferry on 25 and 26 of April 2014.
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Some snaps from the Easter celebrations in Loutra, Kythnos
20 Photos
Created 23 April 2014
Some photos leaving Lavrio and walking around Loutra, on Kythnos, in April 2014
25 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
16 Photos
Created 13 April 2014
We visited Loutra on the island of Kythnos from November 27 until Decmber 6, 2013 and sat out a week of gales and storms. Lovely people, port and island.
15 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
Trip from Poros to Hydra
12 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
Maiden voyage of Clio, from Alimou marina in Athens to Poros island.
10 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Photos taken when we were looking for (and found) a boat in the Meds.
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2013