Clio's Adventures

Hot Fetiye and cool Sarsala Bay

19 June 2014
Thursday 17 June 2014: Hot Fetiye and cool Sarsala Bay

Fetiye, about 25 km East of Gocek, is one of Turkey's most well-known tourist attractions, especially with UK residents (600,000 Brits visit yearly, fish and chips and cold beer everywhere). It also is a very popular spot to overnight in the marina and we were told to go and look for solar panel quotes there. So off we went in the dolmuş

The dolmuşes deserve some description as they are THE means of short-distance public transport in Turkey. Dolmuşes are privately owned mini busses. Actually, they are an affordable cross between a bus (with regular and roughly prescribed routes) and taxis, and they seem to connect anywhere with anywhere. You can flag down a dolmuş, you can ask them to drop you off anywhere (close to its route of course), they are on time, run very regularly are clean and air-conditioned. They run inside cities and between cities and are very good value. For instance, we paid TL 7 ($3.50) pp. to go 30 km to Fetiye, and TL 18 for our 100 km trip from Gocek to Marmaris on our way back to Athens.

Anyway, we found Fetiye to be a Brits' holiday colony. Apart from the little fish market surrounded by restaurants, we didn't find it all that interesting. 'We have a system here: you buy fish from the market and we will prepare it for you' we were notified by a ten-or-so year old girl in perfect Oxford-English, handing out business cards of her family's restaurant. When we enquired where she had learned to speak English so well, she responded 'because I AM English' in a very Oxford-indignant manner. We moved on quickly, feeling quite stupid.

We wasted time trying to get marine-grade solar panels in Fetiye chandleries. We could find panels big enough to supply a small town with solar energy, and heavy enough to capsize the QE II but none of them were meant to be on a boat. We were successful in getting some big plastic containers to store our belongings in before our looming departure back to Oz, so the journey was not completely unsuccessful.

While walking through Fethiye we got a phone call from Tolga inviting us (and Clio) to join him and his guests in their sail boat at a little restaurant in Sarsala Bay (with the now familiar pontoon-setup) and stay the night there. Temperatures were around 34°C at that time, so we didn't need any convincing. Back in the dolmuş with our quite space-demanding containers. The dolmuş kept ingesting people along the way and it was a bit embarrassing to take up so much room. Nobody else seemed to mind and everyone adapted without any problems to the situation at hand.

Once back in Gocek, we got Clio in record time ready to sail (motor) to Sarsala Bay, about 8NM due South from Gocek, where we arrived at 7:30 pm. Night fall is around 9 pm, and we still had time for an excellent swim/snorkel and to meet Tolga's guests before dinner while treading water.
Comments
Vessel Name: Clio
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Australia
Crew: Christine and Francis
About: Happy laid-offs, with Greek and Turkish privileges
Extra: Also have a look at http://sailingclio.org/ Map of our 2016 journey anchorages: http://sailingclio.org/Map.html
Home Page: http://sailingclio.org/index.html
Social:
Clio's Photos - Main
These photos were taken on August 2016 of a cave wall on the Ionian island of Zante.
6 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
Some photos from Clio's trip from Gocek to Finike and back in October 2014.
27 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
Photos from the excellent anchorage at Gokayya, Turkey
25 Photos
Created 2 November 2014
These photos were taken by Güçlü (Irmak yachting) to show us the progress while we are in Australia. Thanks Güçlü!
24 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
A collection of underwater photographs, mainly of marine life found during our snorkelling expeditions in Turkey.
20 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
Based on photos taken on 20th of June 2014
26 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
Photos of our journey between 12 and 19 June 2014.
39 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
A selection of photos were converted in water paintings to give a cyber-artist's vision of our expedition, just for the fun of it.
32 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
We stayed a couple of days at the Octopus hotel pontoon. Anchored in Bozuk Buku (first use of long flat-rope landline) and Ciftlik Bay, from where we took the bus to Marmaris.
41 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos were taken between28th of May and 5th of June 2014. Places: Yolluca rock, Perilli, Selimiye, Orhaniya and Marmaris
37 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos from the Yiali anchorage, Tilos, Simi in Greece and Datca in Turkey. From 21 May to 27 Mat 2014.
64 Photos
Created 17 June 2014
Photos from Leros, Kalymnos and Kos, three islands in the Dodecanese. We visited them between 10 and 19th of May, 2014.
50 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
Our photos of Nissos Paros, mid of April 2014
27 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Photos taken during our visit on Amorgos, Greece in the first week of May, 2014.
42 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Some photos we took on Naxos in late April and early May 2014.
31 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
We visited Thira by ferry on 25 and 26 of April 2014.
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Some snaps from the Easter celebrations in Loutra, Kythnos
20 Photos
Created 23 April 2014
Some photos leaving Lavrio and walking around Loutra, on Kythnos, in April 2014
25 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
16 Photos
Created 13 April 2014
We visited Loutra on the island of Kythnos from November 27 until Decmber 6, 2013 and sat out a week of gales and storms. Lovely people, port and island.
15 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
Trip from Poros to Hydra
12 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
Maiden voyage of Clio, from Alimou marina in Athens to Poros island.
10 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Photos taken when we were looking for (and found) a boat in the Meds.
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2013