Clio's Adventures

From Paradise to Gocek

29 April 2015 | Gocek
Chris and Francis
Thursday 29 April 2015: From Paradise to Gocek
This morning, Tuesday we woke up in paradise, after a great night's sleep tied to a buoy in Siralibuk limani. We enjoyed a lazy day soaking up the beauty and tranquility of this amazing place. A small motor boat charged into the bay and circled the two nearby boats and we thought uh oh he wants us to pay for our mooring, maybe? But no, he is the local bread man selling his baked pide bread fresh from the stone fire oven. We agreed on a price (after a little haggling of course) and got ourselves some lovely fresh bread delivered on our doorstep in paradise.

Our neighbours left this morning and because the grass is always greener we decided to move to their mooring which was a little more sheltered and good practice for me to improve my buoy catching skills. But then a couple of hours later the next neighbours also vacated and yep you guessed it, Francis suggested that we should move yet again, it is the most protected part of the bay, so ok more practice for me and getting better each time.

We launched Cloe, the rubber duck, and rowed ashore for a little exploration and then back on board for more reading, sleeping and the odd bit of cross stitch, (thanks Kylie).

In the evening, time for some card playing and the first 'coon can' (sort of 500) tournament was won by Chris! Dinner is leftover spaghetti and watching the last (praise the lord!) two episodes of 'Transparent', a sitcom which allows you to hate about everyone playing in it. We also started the first episode of 'The Legacy' (thanks for pointing that one out to us Ton).

Yester day, Wednesday, we considered for about two minutes going into Gocek to get more supplies (we ran out of chocolate and ice-cream), and decided: no stuff it, we will stay put and enjoy this for one more day. So a lovely long lazy day reading, cross stitching and sleeping, and Francis repairing a couple of leaking toilets and finishing off some admin stuff. Omelet that night for dinner and the next episode of 'The Legacy' before another very good nights' sleep.

Today, Thursday, we reluctantly decided it was time to go to Gocek to stock up and give Clio a wash and leave this perfect little piece of the world for now. As we motored towards Gocek Francis calibrated the autopilot compass so that in future the autopilot could navigate a bit more efficiently and didn't have to work out the discrepancy between the GPS course and its own fluxgate compass course every time it was engaged. As we headed for Gocek we had snow capped mountains on one side of us and brown and green craggy hills on the other, this is truly a beautiful place.

Back in Gocek, it feels a bit like coming home. We checked into the municipal marina, which is a little cheaper and closer to town than the more up-market Marin Türk where we stayed last year. After hooking up the power and water it was time to visit the supermarket and replenish our supplies, have a yummy lunch and then a lovely hot shower for Chris.

After dragging lots of supplies from the local grocers into Clio's innards, Güçlü called and we arranged to share dinner that night with him and his wife Yukari. It was really great to see them again and after some tea on board we went and had dinner with them at the Limon restaurant. Under Güçlü's watchful eye we chose a range of appetizers, Turkish 'mezes' such as a salad from salty succulent plants (Salicornia?), pickled small fish fillets, sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil and many more. Mezes is often served with a hot 'balloon-bread' and is quite filling. As a desert Yukari introduced us to something that looked like a crumbed hamburger patty, but was made of very thin noodle with cheese inside and pistachio shavings in a sweet, honey-like sauce, from the oven. Delicious, must ask that name again! We finished the night with tea at Güçlü and Yukari's place, a great night with great company.
Comments
Vessel Name: Clio
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Australia
Crew: Christine and Francis
About: Happy laid-offs, with Greek and Turkish privileges
Extra: Also have a look at http://sailingclio.org/ Map of our 2016 journey anchorages: http://sailingclio.org/Map.html
Home Page: http://sailingclio.org/index.html
Social:
Clio's Photos - Main
These photos were taken on August 2016 of a cave wall on the Ionian island of Zante.
6 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
Some photos from Clio's trip from Gocek to Finike and back in October 2014.
27 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
Photos from the excellent anchorage at Gokayya, Turkey
25 Photos
Created 2 November 2014
These photos were taken by Güçlü (Irmak yachting) to show us the progress while we are in Australia. Thanks Güçlü!
24 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
A collection of underwater photographs, mainly of marine life found during our snorkelling expeditions in Turkey.
20 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
Based on photos taken on 20th of June 2014
26 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
Photos of our journey between 12 and 19 June 2014.
39 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
A selection of photos were converted in water paintings to give a cyber-artist's vision of our expedition, just for the fun of it.
32 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
We stayed a couple of days at the Octopus hotel pontoon. Anchored in Bozuk Buku (first use of long flat-rope landline) and Ciftlik Bay, from where we took the bus to Marmaris.
41 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos were taken between28th of May and 5th of June 2014. Places: Yolluca rock, Perilli, Selimiye, Orhaniya and Marmaris
37 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos from the Yiali anchorage, Tilos, Simi in Greece and Datca in Turkey. From 21 May to 27 Mat 2014.
64 Photos
Created 17 June 2014
Photos from Leros, Kalymnos and Kos, three islands in the Dodecanese. We visited them between 10 and 19th of May, 2014.
50 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
Our photos of Nissos Paros, mid of April 2014
27 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Photos taken during our visit on Amorgos, Greece in the first week of May, 2014.
42 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Some photos we took on Naxos in late April and early May 2014.
31 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
We visited Thira by ferry on 25 and 26 of April 2014.
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Some snaps from the Easter celebrations in Loutra, Kythnos
20 Photos
Created 23 April 2014
Some photos leaving Lavrio and walking around Loutra, on Kythnos, in April 2014
25 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
16 Photos
Created 13 April 2014
We visited Loutra on the island of Kythnos from November 27 until Decmber 6, 2013 and sat out a week of gales and storms. Lovely people, port and island.
15 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
Trip from Poros to Hydra
12 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
Maiden voyage of Clio, from Alimou marina in Athens to Poros island.
10 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Photos taken when we were looking for (and found) a boat in the Meds.
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2013