Clio's Adventures

Welcome to our multicultural crew

04 June 2015 | Gocek
Chris and Francis
Thursday 4th June 2015: Welcome to our multicultural crew
More chores done today, Friday 29 May. The boiler is giving us lovely hot water again, such luxury. While Francis went off into Marmaris to see if the right thermal safety thingies for the gas stove have arrived (no such luck), Chris ironed the screen printing onto our crew shirts. The deluxe cabins and bathroom were also cleaned and prepared for our new on-boarders. The plan was to vacate the marina today, but as the day drew on, we decided to stay one more night.

After Clio got a final hose down on Saturday 30th May, it was time to move out of Yacht Marine, but not before we go to the pump-out station and relieve Clio's black-water tanks. After being escorted to the station, we were told to wait five minutes for the pump-out Man, meanwhile 30 minutes later. At last along he came on his little blue scooter and proceeded to do the smelly business. The contents of black-water tanks is not allowed to be dumped anywhere within Turkish waters but as we reported. It is hard to find any pump-out stations outside places like Marmaris or Gocek/Fethiye.

At last, Clio having been relieved of her smelly load, fully watered-up, clean and fully functional, we motored out of the marina and dropped anchor, just around the corner, where we will sit until Monday, saving many Euro's.


The next day, Sunday 31st May, we woke to a glorious morning of no wind and glass-like water. But, it did not last, the wind picked up again and because the water temperature according to our CSMD, is 21 degrees, Chris changed her mind about swimming today. Instead we measured and cut a piece of shade cloth to keep the sun off the back deck in the late afternoon and Chris pulled out the trusty sewing machine and hemmed away the morning.
That afternoon we motored into Netsel marina in Marmaris, filled Clio up with diesel and were escorted into a berth. It was a very tight fit with very little room to manoeuvre amongst the lazy line and anchor chains holding the many boats, be we got in eventually without damaging her (or others). We went to pay for that one night and even after steeling ourselves beforehand were surprised of the €100 ($150) price tag for one night. We now understand why we didn't get a response to our request for a quote the day before. Wouldn't do this too often.

On Monday 1 June we collected our updated transit log with our four new crew members included and left another small amount of Euros to support the Turkish economy. We then finished off last minute jobs before the new crew members arrived on the 6.00 pm ferry from Rhodes. As they had to come through customs we waited for almost an hour before they finally came through the door.

Once Catherine and David, Meni and Adonis were settled, we welcomed them aboard with sparkling wine. The 6-person crew encompasses Australian, Greek, French, New Zealand (resident), British, and Dutch (former) past and present nationalities, a really interesting mix.

Chris took them through the housekeeping and Grand Tour around Clio. Francis gave everyone the safety briefing (see photos) and took them through the process of donning life jackets and harnesses, and the other use of the safety measures in Clio, just in case we run into a foul weather. We then went for a stroll along the waterfront of Marmaris and went to a little traditional Turkish restaurant that Guclu and Yukari had found last year and had a very nice meal. On our return to Clio we all sat around the table and discussed our plans for the week and decided to plot our course towards the Fethiye and Gocek region.

Today, Tuesday 2nd May, the adventure begins. Catherine, David, Meni and Chris did our shopping, then back to Clio to get on our way. At 11.00 we checked out of the very expensive marina and motored out of Marmaris Bay towards Fethiye and Gocek. After a couple of hours the wind got up to 10 knots, so we put on the sails and we managed to sail for another two hours. Apart from Meni feeling a little seasick, everyone settled nicely into the routine and enjoyed their first day on board.

We had to get back on motor for the last two hours and reached the Sarsala pontoon at 5.00 just in time for a lovely swim, followed by drinks and nibbles on the deck. The crew went off to dinner at 8.00 while Chris and Francis stayed on board and Chris cooked spanakopita for lunch tomorrow.

Wednesday 3rd May: we woke this morning to another glorious day in Sarsala and had a lovely start of the day: swimming, snorkeling and sunbathing.

After lunch we left Sarsala and went around the corner to Deep bay and tied up to a mooring buoy, and spent the rest of the day relaxing with more swimming and being entertained by a group of Aussies who had chartered a large gullet. The father of a young man who visited us in his kayak, he tells us, has just retired and is celebrating his 60th birthday. He brought his family and a group of friends to turkey for a week to celebrate with him. They spent the afternoon water skiing and riding the banana boat and had lots of fun. Catherine and Meni prepared a delicious meal of Greek lemon chicken and potatoes from the oven for our dinner.

Thursday 4th May: another day in paradise. More swimming, sunbathing and sleeping, such a hard life. At midday we released Clio from the mooring and motored into Gocek seeking a berth in the Municipal marina. Unfortunately there were no spaces for us, so another new experience for our crew, as we anchored in the bay and launched Cloe the duck. Francis ferried us ashore in two trips and Chris then took the group on the sightseeing tour of the Main Street of Gocek while Francis was trying to repair the led monitor, but failed miserably. Meni and Chris enjoyed a hot shower in the Municipal facilities. We then replenished our supply of groceries and Chris, Catherine and David found a tiny store that was full of fresh nuts and, more dangerously, exquisite home-made Turkish Delight. After tasting several of his beautiful treats we had to cry "enough" and could not resist buying a small amount of the Rose delight (with shredded rose petals on the outside) and a hazelnut one. At 60 Turkish lire a kilo we had to keep it to a minimum, but it was delicious and we thought well worth it.

Francis re-joined us at 5.30 when we met with the car rental people to solve the question how to fit six people into a five seater car so that we can explore the Greek village and ruins tomorrow. The answer is that if two people are in love, they don't mind sitting VERY close for hours at a time. Problem solved!
Back on Clio, Meni prepared our evening meal of chicken and rice, yummy, thanks very much Meni.
Comments
Vessel Name: Clio
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Australia
Crew: Christine and Francis
About: Happy laid-offs, with Greek and Turkish privileges
Extra: Also have a look at http://sailingclio.org/ Map of our 2016 journey anchorages: http://sailingclio.org/Map.html
Home Page: http://sailingclio.org/index.html
Social:
Clio's Photos - Main
These photos were taken on August 2016 of a cave wall on the Ionian island of Zante.
6 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
Some photos from Clio's trip from Gocek to Finike and back in October 2014.
27 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
Photos from the excellent anchorage at Gokayya, Turkey
25 Photos
Created 2 November 2014
These photos were taken by Güçlü (Irmak yachting) to show us the progress while we are in Australia. Thanks Güçlü!
24 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
A collection of underwater photographs, mainly of marine life found during our snorkelling expeditions in Turkey.
20 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
Based on photos taken on 20th of June 2014
26 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
Photos of our journey between 12 and 19 June 2014.
39 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
A selection of photos were converted in water paintings to give a cyber-artist's vision of our expedition, just for the fun of it.
32 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
We stayed a couple of days at the Octopus hotel pontoon. Anchored in Bozuk Buku (first use of long flat-rope landline) and Ciftlik Bay, from where we took the bus to Marmaris.
41 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos were taken between28th of May and 5th of June 2014. Places: Yolluca rock, Perilli, Selimiye, Orhaniya and Marmaris
37 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos from the Yiali anchorage, Tilos, Simi in Greece and Datca in Turkey. From 21 May to 27 Mat 2014.
64 Photos
Created 17 June 2014
Photos from Leros, Kalymnos and Kos, three islands in the Dodecanese. We visited them between 10 and 19th of May, 2014.
50 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
Our photos of Nissos Paros, mid of April 2014
27 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Photos taken during our visit on Amorgos, Greece in the first week of May, 2014.
42 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Some photos we took on Naxos in late April and early May 2014.
31 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
We visited Thira by ferry on 25 and 26 of April 2014.
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Some snaps from the Easter celebrations in Loutra, Kythnos
20 Photos
Created 23 April 2014
Some photos leaving Lavrio and walking around Loutra, on Kythnos, in April 2014
25 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
16 Photos
Created 13 April 2014
We visited Loutra on the island of Kythnos from November 27 until Decmber 6, 2013 and sat out a week of gales and storms. Lovely people, port and island.
15 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
Trip from Poros to Hydra
12 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
Maiden voyage of Clio, from Alimou marina in Athens to Poros island.
10 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Photos taken when we were looking for (and found) a boat in the Meds.
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2013