Clio's Adventures

What do I like about sailing the Meds. Part 2: Francis’ story.

31 July 2015 | Patmos
Francis and Chris
For me, cruising in the Meds has a couple of different aspects: sailing, sea-camping/cruising, and travel abroad. I’ll try to put some thoughts to each of these aspects.

Sailing
To be able to sail a 47 ft yacht with some degree of safety in unknown waters, there are a range of skills needed. The actual sailing assumes an understanding of the interactions between wind direction and force, currents, waves and your boat, but also how to harness those forces effectively through the different controls that allows you to manage your sails (e.g. amount of sails, use of traveler and sheets), direction of travel, use of engine and availability of expertise on board (crew). For the contemporary sailor to make more informed decisions, some understanding of the electronic systems that supply the information (e.g. course, heading, wind direction and speed, depth, electronic charts) is also a must.

But sailing is not without its dangers and being able and being prepared to reduce the impact on boat and people on board needs preparation. That preparation starts with gathering info on expected weather and destinations, ready the boat before you leave, brief passengers and crew regarding safety measures such as life vests, safety harnesses, emergency beacons, use of radio and life raft. There are also navigation skills, knowledge of rules and regulations of the sea, rope handling skills, anchoring and mooring, some expertise to make emergency repairs etc..

What do I like about all this stuff? It is a challenge to make it all work, but very rewarding when it actually does. 'Uneventful' trips are a measure of how well we're doing and how much we've learned (leaving passengers to wonder what the fuss of sailing is all about), every 'narrow escape' is an opportunity to learn more and prevent the next time.

The cruising/camping aspect
Once the sailing aspect is under control you can move between places, the first step. The next step is to live aboard, in our case for six or seven months at a time. Unless you're rich and wish to be in a marina or on a town quay every night, you will end up anchoring. Choice of an anchorage is vital for safety, comfort and enjoyment. Taking all opportunities to learn from your fellow-sailors next to you on anchorage or quay has proven to be a very effective way to cut the number of times you have to get up in the middle of the night to re-anchor. It is really great to see our charts of the Greek and Turkish waters slowly filling up with little anchor-icons of good anchorages, some from our experiences, some from our fellow-travelers. We start to feel at home here with a very big back yard.

But being on anchor also means having to provide for things like water, food, electricity, gas, refrigeration, toilet and shower facilities, communication means (radio, phone, internet connection), and some entertainment. Getting our boat in a state that she provides all these services on anchor for a week or more at a time needs planning, preparation, investment, ongoing maintenance and repairs. After about two and a half years, Clio is now getting to a point where she can provide all of the above. We have learned a lot of how to prepare for those longer camping trips, realising the critical importance of chocolate and ice-cream. It is very gratifying to get up after a restful sleep in a lightly rocking boat, go for a swim from the back deck, have a nice freshwater shower and breakfast with hot coffee and cold yoghurt afterwards while reading today’s paper from the internet and know that the ice-creams are kept well frozen in the freezer, powered by our solar panels. Getting to know the main systems on board well enough to use them effectively and repair them when needed took a fair bit of time and effort, but it makes me feel more at home and at ease on our boat. "I love it when a plan comes together".
Being on anchor and not having access to shops also makes me appreciate the little luxuries we have on board a bit more. We often run out of things (especially chocolate and ice-creams) so next time you get them, they are a real treat, and you realise it!

Travel abroad
All the stuff so far are just the means to an end. In our case that 'end' is cruising Greece and Turkey waters (unless we win gold lotto and go to Italy and France). Even though the two countries are topological neighbours, they are culturally and socially quite distinctive, be it with a very intertwined, long and sometimes violent history. But they are different also in terms of cruising grounds and how to best enjoy those countries through its lovely people, its natural beauty and cruising opportunities. Being able to live in both countries in our own movable and partly self-contained castle is the magic of our life at the moment. We can engage with the outside world and eat Turkish kofte or a Greek salad in a taverna on shore, or hire a car and visit the many ancient or modern places, engaging with the many friendly and interesting people and even make some good friends on the way. And then go and sit at our own table, sleep in our own bed, and eat our own food when we feel like it. The next morning we open our doors and look out over a different place, hearing different sounds, smelling different smells. I experience it as a very rich and rewarding life.
Comments
Vessel Name: Clio
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Australia
Crew: Christine and Francis
About: Happy laid-offs, with Greek and Turkish privileges
Extra: Also have a look at http://sailingclio.org/ Map of our 2016 journey anchorages: http://sailingclio.org/Map.html
Home Page: http://sailingclio.org/index.html
Social:
Clio's Photos - Main
These photos were taken on August 2016 of a cave wall on the Ionian island of Zante.
6 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
Some photos from Clio's trip from Gocek to Finike and back in October 2014.
27 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
Photos from the excellent anchorage at Gokayya, Turkey
25 Photos
Created 2 November 2014
These photos were taken by Güçlü (Irmak yachting) to show us the progress while we are in Australia. Thanks Güçlü!
24 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
A collection of underwater photographs, mainly of marine life found during our snorkelling expeditions in Turkey.
20 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
Based on photos taken on 20th of June 2014
26 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
Photos of our journey between 12 and 19 June 2014.
39 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
A selection of photos were converted in water paintings to give a cyber-artist's vision of our expedition, just for the fun of it.
32 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
We stayed a couple of days at the Octopus hotel pontoon. Anchored in Bozuk Buku (first use of long flat-rope landline) and Ciftlik Bay, from where we took the bus to Marmaris.
41 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos were taken between28th of May and 5th of June 2014. Places: Yolluca rock, Perilli, Selimiye, Orhaniya and Marmaris
37 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
Photos from the Yiali anchorage, Tilos, Simi in Greece and Datca in Turkey. From 21 May to 27 Mat 2014.
64 Photos
Created 17 June 2014
Photos from Leros, Kalymnos and Kos, three islands in the Dodecanese. We visited them between 10 and 19th of May, 2014.
50 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
Our photos of Nissos Paros, mid of April 2014
27 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Photos taken during our visit on Amorgos, Greece in the first week of May, 2014.
42 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
Some photos we took on Naxos in late April and early May 2014.
31 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
We visited Thira by ferry on 25 and 26 of April 2014.
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Some snaps from the Easter celebrations in Loutra, Kythnos
20 Photos
Created 23 April 2014
Some photos leaving Lavrio and walking around Loutra, on Kythnos, in April 2014
25 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
16 Photos
Created 13 April 2014
We visited Loutra on the island of Kythnos from November 27 until Decmber 6, 2013 and sat out a week of gales and storms. Lovely people, port and island.
15 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
Trip from Poros to Hydra
12 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
Maiden voyage of Clio, from Alimou marina in Athens to Poros island.
10 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Photos taken when we were looking for (and found) a boat in the Meds.
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2013