For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Happy Canada Day

01 July 2012 | Kingston, Ontario
Jennifer-hot & sunny
Happy Canada Day

Yesterday was a tough day. We arrived to find Al had had a restless night and therefore was extremely tired and not responding verbally with us. The swelling on his face was noticeably better. Bruising is very evident now. We are being told now, his right sided paralysis is very indicative of a stroke that likely occurred at the time of surgery. Al is now being treated as a stroke patient. This was not news we wanted to hear.

After a few hours rest he resumed his talking which was a relief as we feared his not talking was a set back. There will be highs and lows. My own experience might be the only thing keeping me from unraveling right now.

Al had asked for coffee yesterday so Dr. Wallace said if he managed a few ice chips he could try 2 spoons of coffee. Al raised his eyes and smiled at this prospect. He passed with the ice chips so coffee was fetched. He savored the taste and moaned with delight. I think it was the highlight of his day.

He was extremely tired yesterday and slept a lot. After the girls and I returned from having our supper he was still sleepy and not really interested in us. The girls were chatting and he said to me that he thought we were going. I reminded him we had just returned from supper. I asked him if he wanted us to go so he could sleep and he said yes. We felt badly but it is good that he tells us what he needs. His brain is trying to heal and it is very tiring.

We are very sad to have this diagnosis. He meets the requirements for going to Providence Care for rehab. In the next day or two he will be moved out of ICU to the Neurological floor. This will be good as he will start getting regular physiotherapy and occupational therapy. There is talk of trying him sitting up at the side of the bed soon. That will be a huge thing. And of course early next week he'll get his swallowing assessment, hopefully that will go well and he will start on food that is pureed, but real food nonetheless.

Of note is Al has some movement in his right leg. So we are hopeful walking will be regained. I was struggling that our decision to go ahead with this surgery had been a mistake. We knew there would be risks, we just never imagined us getting the worst case scenario. I had a discussion with Dr. Wallace about my feelings, and he said we absolutely made the right choice. The alternative would have been, let the tumour grow and the outcome would have been fatal at an uncertain future date. So we gambled on risk over death.


I want to end on a HAPPY note. So HAPPY CANADA DAY to everyone. I am happy to live in a country that has a health care system that will provide Alistair with the services he needs, at the time he needs them and by the best people REGARDLESS of our financial status. And that's how socialized health care should work and does work in this country. May you all enjoy a most festive day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario