For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Outdoor Therapy

17 November 2012 | Kingston
Jennifer- nice weather
Outdoor Therapy

Towards the end of yesterday’s physio session Shannon got Al’s brace on and insisted he get out in the fresh air and sunshine. So, with her guidance, he walked down to the lobby, down 4 stairs and out to the entrance, down another 4 stairs and walked across the turnabout and had a rest on the bench. This was quite an accomplishment. Shannon has given us a lot of help in accessing other opportunities for Al to improve and be active. There is a “Reved Up” program run out of the University where 2 hours a week Al can go to one of two gyms, get assistance and keep active, with other folks in a recovery state of various health issues. Shannon would outline what he could do and it would be supervised by various volunteer kinesiology and physio students. This will help with his mobility, balance and endurance, oh and his continued weight loss. I love how Shannon can motivate him, I guess my motivation runs a fine line between encouragement and nagging.

In the photo Shannon took of us yes Al is in shorts. Its not actually because he is a sailor and hates giving them up. Shannon likes to be able to see his legs in movement. I tell you this woman is a gift, she uses her eyes and her hands and touch and we are grateful to have her.

After a slow start in home Speech therapy, Al has finally been hooked up with Orin, our second attempt at a home speech therapist. Home care is experiencing a shortage of them right now and there has been a lot of sickness and people off. Anyway, Orin is more our age and very experienced and personable. I think he is a very good fit for us and I think with his help you may see some re-entry of Al blogging.

The weeks are flying by and progress continues.
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario