For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Just Checking In

07 December 2012 | Kingston
Jennifer
We are alive....and well. Time seems to slip by. We are almost at 6 months post Al's surgery and still we are told "its early yet" for more signs of improvement. It is becoming less likely that Al will regain much meaningful use of his right hand. We are still hopeful of some usefulness of his arm. He can now get movement drawing the arm back in towards his body and there is some attempt at the muscles trying to fire in his forearm. His walking is coming along and we are fall free almost 4 weeks, so that is a good sign. His balance is much better. This combined with him making better choices is good. His mood remains pretty flat so getting him to blog or read is very challenging. We are still being supported with home Physiotherapy and occupational therapy as well as communication. I am trying to move him in the direction of being more engaged in helping me do chores. These things help with his balance and encourage independence. Seen here he is tipping beans for me for meal preparation.

This week has seen us both dancing around flu and cold symptoms. Today the bug seems to have taken hold of him and he is preferring to be cozied down in bed.

We ventured out yesterday to the Stroke Support Group and I am no stranger to this group. It was nice to see familiar faces and to see how my people have continued in their recovery. Al said he enjoyed the experience and thinks he would like to be part of their once monthly group in the new year. I am pleased by this. As well as a chance for him to socialize with others it gives him encouragement and hope for his own further recovery. We are very fortunate here in Kingston to have this group and to have its most fabulous committed Facilitator.

Oh I'd just like to add the beverage in his wine glass is Canada Dry Gingerale. He still likes the ambiance of holding a wine glass. A guy has to have some perks. Although, we did see the Neurosurgeon on Tuesday and he said it would be OK if Al wanted the occasional small glass of wine. He would be at more risk of increased fall if he were to imbibe wine so we will approach this festive season with utmost caution.
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario