Sail Away with Second Wind..

15 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina
12 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina Island
10 October 2009 | Oceanside, CA
06 June 2009 | San Diego
19 February 2009 | San Diego, CA
13 January 2009 | San Diego, CA
07 September 2008 | Two Harbors, Catalina
15 August 2008 | San Diego, CA
02 August 2008 | 9:30pm, moored at Two Harbors
22 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
19 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
31 May 2008 | On our way to San Diego
29 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
28 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
26 May 2008 | 1:30pm, docked at Marina Coral
25 May 2008 | 9:00pm, anchored at Puerto Santo Tomas
24 May 2008 | 2:00pm, anchored at San Quintin
24 May 2008 | 3:30pm, underway to San Quintin
22 May 2008 | 5:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay
21 May 2008 | 7:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay

What do you do all day?

07 May 2008 | 2:00pm, at anchor in Bahia Santa Maria
Melissa
We listened to the weather this morning on SSB/HAM and also read Cory's Dad's email weather report from Mexico weather websites. Although there's a lot of wind out here, there is a window starting at about midnight tonight until tomorrow. We're going to see if we can take advantage of this window where there is supposed to be less wind to get 100 miles farther north to San Juanico. San Juanico is the best windy weather anchorage between Mag Bay and Turtle Bay, so it's a good place to be if we've got to wait out some windy days. We just talked things over with Windblown and Zephryus, and we agreed we'd try to leave tonight so we'd get in tomorrow afternoon. The 11pm - 11am time slot is a good one to travel in where winds typically subside a bit, so that's what we'll do.

Also, instead of going back to Mag Bay to get fuel, I called a cruiser, Sherry, in Ansuncion (40 miles from Turtle Bay), and she is able to arrange for a panga to deliver diesel fuel to us at a reasonable price. She told me they have a reliable, clean source of diesel in Ansuncion, and she would give the fuel station a call to be sure they had some on reserve for us when we arrive. That saves us backtracking 35 miles or so to get some spare fuel.

So, what do we do all day in a deserted anchorage? Bahia Sta. Maria has nothing. It is a pretty and huge bay where a navy of boats could anchor. There's only 5 pleasure boats in here now, trying to get north and one tuna fishing boat. So..with all this time and nothing to do, we got together on the biggest boat last night. That boat is a 47 foot catamaran called Moontide. It was nice to get to meet everyone, and we made a lot of new friends. I tell you, cruisers are friendly people and people who have really unique experiences. When was the last time you met someone who has sailed around the world? In the past week, I've met two different people on two different boats. Everyone has great stories.

So, wish us safe passage. We will try to pull out tonight and make the next leg of our journey.
Comments
Vessel Name: Second Wind
Vessel Make/Model: 2000 Beneteau 331
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Cory & Melissa
About:
If you've considered cruising, but never had the ability to cut the ties to land, contemplate this quote from Mark Twain....."Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. [...]

Who: Cory & Melissa
Port: San Diego