Sail Away with Second Wind..

15 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina
12 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina Island
10 October 2009 | Oceanside, CA
06 June 2009 | San Diego
19 February 2009 | San Diego, CA
13 January 2009 | San Diego, CA
07 September 2008 | Two Harbors, Catalina
15 August 2008 | San Diego, CA
02 August 2008 | 9:30pm, moored at Two Harbors
22 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
19 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
31 May 2008 | On our way to San Diego
29 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
28 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
26 May 2008 | 1:30pm, docked at Marina Coral
25 May 2008 | 9:00pm, anchored at Puerto Santo Tomas
24 May 2008 | 2:00pm, anchored at San Quintin
24 May 2008 | 3:30pm, underway to San Quintin
22 May 2008 | 5:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay
21 May 2008 | 7:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay

Saturday Sailing

19 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
We didn't intend to leave the boat in the slip for > 1.5 months and not touch it, but that's just the way it worked out. After sailing for 5 months in Mexico, maybe it just didn't seem so exciting to take the boat out for the day in San Diego Bay....or maybe we just got busy. I like to think we just got busy in between our trips to Illinois and New Jersey. All excuses aside, we went down to the marina late last week and cleaned the boat with the intention of taking it out on Friday. We didn't make it out on Friday, but we made it a point to put everything we had aside to go out on Saturday.

We had such a nice day sailing. The wind was perfect, about 15 knots, not to heavy... not too light. A lot of other sailors must've thought the same thing because there were a TON of boats out on the water. We counted at least 3 regattas as well as a lot of boaters out just recreational sailing for the day.

So, we journeyed out to the ocean...checked to make sure our macerator pump repair was working - it's not, and we just hung out on the boat sailing all afternoon. All in all, it was a great day.

I have a couple of thoughts as a take-away from yesterday.
1) 2 years ago, I would have been nervous pulling the boat out of the marina basin and out to the ocean with all the boat traffic on the water. Not so anymore, it was a piece of cake - no sweat.
2) Getting our boat in and out of the slip closest to the walkway with only 3 inches on either side wasn't as bad as we thought it'd be. I guess that comes with experience too! Even though we had only 3 inches on either side, we managed to get the boat in and out without a scratch. I drove while Cory helped maneuver us out dockside.
3) Even though we're not in an exotic place like Mexico or South America, sailing still has all the charm we experienced earlier this year. And with that thought, I guess we've both now learned a true love for the sport.

Comments
Vessel Name: Second Wind
Vessel Make/Model: 2000 Beneteau 331
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Cory & Melissa
About:
If you've considered cruising, but never had the ability to cut the ties to land, contemplate this quote from Mark Twain....."Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. [...]

Who: Cory & Melissa
Port: San Diego