s/v Coconuts

02 May 2010 | St. Leonard's Creek, Maryland
10 February 2010 | Burke, Virginia
10 June 2007 | Solomons Island, MD
08 April 2007
06 April 2007

Definitely Not Coconuts Weather

10 February 2010 | Burke, Virginia
Heavy snow and high winds
We here in the Washington, D.C. area are experiencing the snowiest winter on record. We have had 4 snowstorms in the past week and a half that dropped a total here at our home in Northern Virginia of 49 inches.....and it just started snowing AGAIN! Just before Christmas we had a snowstorm that dropped almost 20 inches on us, making the first really white Christmas in 20 years. The area is paralyzed. The federal government is closing again tomorrow for the fourth day in a row. As a teacher, I haven't been to school since last Thursday. We are warm and comfortable with plenty of food, so we are trying to enjoy the time at home.

We left the boat in the water this winter. There were wind gusts of over 50 mph in the area of our marina at Solomons, MD, today. With the heavy snow and winds, we hope the boat is faring well. She's tied with extra heavy lines, so all should be well. Who knows when we'll be able to get there to check on her.

We've been passing the time reading old issues of sailing magazines and dreaming of the sailing season, which at this point can't come too soon. We are moving to a new marina in Solomons this spring, and are excited about the location of our new slip and about getting to know our new neighbors on the dock.

We have obviously been remiss in updating this blog, but we hope to be better this year about including information about our weekends on the Chesapeake. They can't come too soon!
Comments
Vessel Name: Coconuts
Vessel Make/Model: 2003 Hunter 306
Hailing Port: Solomons, Maryland
Crew: Jim and Louann Tackett
About: Jim, the Captain; Louann, First Mate; James, Zach, Emily, and John Tackett as visiting crew; and Mika the Ship's Dog
Extra: We are a family sailing the Chesapeake Bay with plans to retire and head to the Caribbean in about 3 years. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

s/v Coconuts

Who: Jim and Louann Tackett
Port: Solomons, Maryland