Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA

To Roche Harbor, USA

20 May 2016
Debbie (with a little Don)
We got up and considered breakfast. Katie said that she was not especially hungry and had a coffee aboard. There was a great food stand at the head of the gangway at the marina and it was open at 8am. Deb and I walked up to snag breakfast there before departing for Roche Harbor.

We had to go to Roche Harbor to clear customs so we headed there. We were going to swing by Turn Point to view the lovely light house but a very large freighter was zooming up Haro Strait at 18 knots, on the way to Vancouver, and our AIS showed that our Closest Point of Approach (CPA) was only a few hundred yards. So, we headed East, to duck behind Stewart Island and avoid a close passing. That route took us through Jones Pass, an equally delightful route, and, once through, headed to Roche.

We saw Misty Fiords again at Roche, leaving the dock as we tied up, and exchanged greetings. The Customs House had been moved to the outer dock for the summer since the rendezvous, but fortunately, the summer crowds had not yet materialized. We cleared easily despite a different crew of officials - missing John, who always asked Don what he professed after Don said he was a professor. Deb got us through quickly but we had to give up some veggies, including the tomatoes that came from the US but we had bought in Canada. Go figure! We decide to stay at Roche for the night and Deb also checked us in. Now, dear reader, you may be wondering what I do? (Don is writing here.) Well, not too much! Wait, I did do something. Read the next paragraph that Deb wrote.

Katie and Deb visited the grocery store and shops while Don did laundry. They noticed that the ice cream kiosk was open. This was a bit surprising since it wasn't supposed to open until the weekend, but no doubt the warm and sunny weather caused them to open early. Don had said he would text if the kiosk was open, but apparently, he hadn't noticed since we didn't get a text. So, we went by the laundry room to ask Don if he wanted a cone. He said ok. While eating our ice cream, it came out that Don had already had an ice cream at the start of his laundry stint - without telling us - and was now having another with us! Boy did Katie call that one. When her dad told us he only wanted a single scoop, she said, he must have already had one. I said he wouldn't do that without texting us to come up for ice cream. Well, you guessed it. Katie really knows her dad. As usual, though, he couldn't keep a secret and confessed his double dipping to us with no prodding.

That night we took Katie to the Macmillan Room for dinner. She'd never been during her previous visits. We had a great dinner, as always - salmon for me, halibut for Don and seafood pasta for Katie. Back at the boat, we went up to the flybridge to watch the sunset flag-lowering ceremony and listen to the UK and Canadian national anthems, along with the Stars and Stripes Forever with cannon salute. Katie and Don blew our horn, as is the tradition, at the end of the ceremony. It was loud! We discussed a few options for getting Katie to Seatac on Monday, and decided to head south, planning stops at Port Townsend, Blake Island, and Bell Harbor in Seattle.
Comments
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
About: We live on the East Coast but enjoy wilderness cruising in the Pacific Northwest.
Extra: We enjoy crabbing, shrimping, fishing, and clamming. Some of us are crazy enough to swim in Northwest waters during the summer.

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA