Sailors to seadogs

Jackie & Colins' adventures on the high seas.

09 April 2017
03 April 2017
03 April 2017
21 June 2016
13 March 2016
27 February 2016
27 February 2016
18 November 2015
12 November 2015
27 September 2015
15 September 2015 | Puerto Real Marina
07 September 2015
28 July 2015
26 July 2015 | Ile a Vache, Haiti
18 July 2015 | Ila a Vache Haiti

Windfall

31 August 2010 | Winderemere lake
August bank holiday Monday was a wholly different day, the sun streaming out of a clear blue sky and hardly a breath of wind. After yesterdays skirmish with the elements we have decided today will be a day to go and look at some boats that are for sale near Bowness. You'ld think after yesterday that we would catch our breath and have a bit of a rest but not a bit of it. Jackie has found this old tub for just under 6000 that we should look at, and it gives us a reason to have a day out in the Lakes, even if it's the last place you should go on a bank holiday.
We take a leisurely drive up the west side, through Cunsey woods to catch the ferry over to Ferry Nab. Today is the day we should have chose to go sailing, as between the trees we catch yachts gently cruising the lake under full sail in light airs. Ah well, no matter we're still in a nautical frame of mind cause we're going to view a boat.
We have talked ourselves in and out of buying a boat, at the moment we're in an out mode, and have been eyeing up courses. Perhaps what we need is a passage making course, there's one going from Gibralter to Palma, which would give us the experience we lack. Or there's others in Scotland but they cost quite a lot, 6 or 700 pounds per person which ever way we look, this sailing is going to be expensive.
We have also poo pooed the idea of lake sailing as we want to do ocean stuff, but after yesterday we now see that even a lake can be challenging, especially in a boat one step up from a dingy. Maybe if we had a decent size boat we could learn the ropes here in our own back yard.
Maiden marine has three boats that are very cheap, and probably not suitable at all but it's some reason to be out in the Lakes this August bank holiday. David, the brokerage manager points us in the direction of a Jaguar 25 called Windfall. He tells us that if we're looking for something thats got decent rigging and we're not too bothered by the interior we should take a look. She's been in the ownership of a couple of guys who like sailing but are not too fussy about appearances. How right he was, but she is not as bad as we expect. In fact all in all this boat appeals to us in a big way. Ok she needs a womans' touch and some new rigging but overall for the princely sum of 5995 she's a bargain.
We just might buy her, although she doesn't look pretty with her dull brown hull all in all we could learn a lot in this sloop. We just need to weigh things up but looking at what it's going to cost us still in courses Windfall may be the chance to learn what we need to learn and at this price perhaps we could sell her on and not loose money as comparable boats seem to be a few thousand more than this one.
We'll arrange a sail in her and then decide what to do. She's a bilge keel so we could take her to Roa island next year and get some sea miles in as she would rest on the mud flats at low tide which is a real plus for these boats.
I think we have already decided that we'll buy her, that this is what we need to bridge the gap before we make the jump to the Caribbean in the next year or so.
It's what we need, our own boat to play with, when we want to, it's the next logical step and at this price I think it's the right move. It feels right, so if the trials go OK I think we may soon become the proud owners of Windfall.
Comments
Vessel Name: Picaroon
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin Sea Wolf (Formosa 41)
Hailing Port: Luperon Dominican Republic
Crew: Jackie and Colin Williams
About: We had never sailed until September 09 when we went on a RYA Start yachting course in Largs in Scotland. We have this plan to learn how to sail a 36ft boat around the Caribbean, in about 2 years time. 2011/12 now updated to August 2013
Extra:
We moved out of the UK in September 2013 and bought ourselves a boat, she's a Hardin Sea Wolf and we have been fixing her in Salinas in Puerto Rico. In May we set sail for the Dominican Republic where well be for the summer of 14 then next November we set sail for new horizons. It's adventure [...]
Picaroon's Photos - Main
Luperon, Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica
No Photos
Created 18 May 2015
4 Photos
Created 29 March 2014
shakedown voyage
8 Photos
Created 26 March 2014
2 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
Picaroon
22 Photos
Created 15 October 2013