Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Day 3.9: Sat Phone Call from Comocean

14 November 2011
Picture: Wind GRIB Files showing light winds from the SSE. "C" is at 34'N:72'W.
Author: Seth

I just received a call from Comocean and got to speak to my Dad and Norm. Despite a forecast for South winds at their position, they are experiencing SE winds which are preventing them from heading in any direction toward the BVIs. Instead they have two options: Cuba or Bermuda! Fortunately the winds are light and my suggestion to them was to motor into the winds to get out of this stalled high pressure system that will be sitting over them for the next three days. It's not until Wednesday that the wind direction is expected to change, so the fleet has to make a tough call. They can either motor into the wind and waves (which is uncomfortable), or sail slightly off course (adding time to their passage). You can see in the image below that some boats are motoring SE into the wind while others (including Comocean) have been sticking it out sailing. Unfortunately I think it is time to motor.

All else seems well on board. While I was speaking to my Dad they heard a large banging sound and he handed the phone off to Norm to investigate. Apparently the noise was from a flying fish that slammed into the Bimini! Better that than bolts falling off the mast! But Norm said they are all having fun and are enjoying being out there together. I just wish they had better winds...

At least they are not dealing with what is happening on Beckoning, the Catalina 47 that has turned back for Norfolk. Apparently they are having an issue with one of their crew (could be a family emergency or someone refusing to continue). Regardless, we hope all is okay on-board. At least they have some nice SE winds to get them home!

Seth
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011