Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Day 4: Light SE Winds

14 November 2011
Picture: The fleet as it tries to fight SE winds. "C" is the bigger white boat near the middle/top.
Author: Seth

As their fourth day comes to a close it is safe to say that Comocean is doing very well. They have moved from 39th place at the start of the race to 33rd, and given the relative size of their boat that says a lot. Conditions have not been ideal with light SE winds hurting everyone's progress toward the BVIs, but it appears that finally most boats are able to continue in that direction.

Here is the latest email sent to Comocean and her crew from their "base commander."

Hi Dad,
You are currently in 33rd place. You are also the 16th most easterly boat in the fleet, so poised to increase your rank when the trade winds come. Just in front of you are Ice Wars, Beaudacious and Oceano 2. 19 miles behind you are Sialia (nice work!), Pajarito and Katahdin. And then about 9 boats are out to the northeast of you having only recently turned south (and are languishing in that system unable to go SE). You are doing very well, keep it up!

WIND and ROUTING RECO:
Today: Winds are forecast to be 0-5 knots and SSE in your area. Over the day they will build to 5-10 knots from the SE, making it difficult for you to go SE again. Continue as you have, motoring if necessary and try to go South over East if you can. This will help you in the coming days as east of you will see more SE winds than South.
Wednesday: More of the same from Tuesday. Winds get heavier during the day and then die again at night, maintaining the same S to SE direction, which fluctuates throughout the day.
Thursday: 10-15 knots winds start to clock around from the SE to S to SW direction and then become light and confused as that front moves in from the NW (strong winds north of the imaginary line between Orlando and Bermuda, but you will thankfully be south).
Friday: Wind speed is forecast to be 0-5 knots until the system fills in around 2pm with winds out of the NE! Use it to go SE. Try to get good easterly progress in as this will likely be your last opportunity before the trade winds fill in. Watch for squalls.
Sat/Sun/Mon: Regular trade winds return from the East and ENE at 15-20 knots, making SE progress possible and much quicker.

Good luck guys! Send me a blog entry if you get the time...
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011