Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Comocean Log Entries!

17 November 2011 | Toby Log Entries Received Today Via Sat Phone Email
Picture: Toby and Comocean before leaving Norfolk
Author: Toby (sent via Sat Phone)

LOG ENTRY, DAY 2:
Well, we have finally departed for the BVI's. Hampton was a great place to stay but the excitement of three starts wore pretty heavily on us all. Way to much anticipation. The Caribbean 1500 team broke out more parties and lessons. All fun and outstandingly executed. Sadly it lost us crew member Ed Cusick who had to return to work. Happily it brought our good friend John Hoffman onto the team. We have learned a lot already and are jelling as a team! Norm adds composure, John great sailing experience and knowledge of the seas, as he has sailed for years. (My first two crossings were with John: Lake Michigan and the Gulf of Mexico.) Tom Dempsey, despite getting over a cold was the youth, energy and practical sailing knowledge that helped us pull the first day together. We sit tonight between a broad reach and a run with the sails on the second reef, the boom brake set and a 17 knot breeze on our backs. Skies clear, a fabulous sunset and one day after a full moon we are enjoying our first night on the seas. 90 miles from the start of the Gulf Stream.

LOG ENTRY, DAY 3:
It is kind of amazing when you get out in the middle of the Atlantic how crazy water, tides, eddy's, streams---and Wind---or lack of it, can impact your day. Although we were originally held up with the threat of Tropical Storm Sean and too much wind, we would now pay handsomely for some of it at times. The Gulf Stream crossing was benign. It pushed us a little north but the winds kept us on a solid pace. Then a wretched eddy pushed us strongly north when we came out. The winds forced us into a long Eastward course toward Bermuda. Good winds. Then a word from Seth about ten o'clock and we moved to a south course where half the fleet had moved in the night. The rule of thumb for this event, from everyone we talked to who are old hands at the Caribbean 1500, is get east to make the trade winds. Yet we are trying to get south to avoid a low pressure system expected on Wednesday which will bring heavy winds.

The 7:00am morning role call reveals we are with a large number of boats. The lead boats are way out front and have East winds at 20. Then a group clustered with us. A third group south of us having made the decision earlier in the evening to go south. I KNOW THAT'S THREE BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER THE FOURTH...oops!

Today looks like off and on motor sailing. We want to motor as little as possible as it counts against you in the standings. We are basically motoring through the lulls, then sailing from the edges of the numerous rain storms to pick up wind. Course is finally on target for Tortola ...that's a first!

LOG ENTRY, DAY 5:
A lot of new learning today as we motor for the second day to get out of this miserable high pressure system left by tropical storm Sean. On this mornings role call, the fleet is all over the Atlantic. We are with a group that seems to just be motoring for the ending way point. Sky's are generally clear, no humidity. What wind we have is straight in the face. Not a sailors dream. To quote the founder of the Caribbean 1500 22 years ago who is aboard Madrugata, a 42 Pacer with no engine, "If you didn't know this was the Atlantic, you wouldn't want a much better day than this. That said we are making the best of flat seas. We have refueled with 15 gallons of diesel. Quite surprising given 24 hours of straight running at 2200 RPM (everyone wants to get home for Thanksgiving). Tom and John managed the re-fuel with zero environmental impact! This was preceded by Tom's call of "Fish-on," John Hoffman's working the reel and Toby on gaff. She was a beautiful, hard fighting Yellow Fin Tuna, that fought so hard we decided to let it go back to its mates (not). Oh well, it was fun. Lines are back out as I sit here typing. Tom's got the Raymarines talking and the Plotter, AIS and Radar all seem to be doing their job. If anyone knows where some wind is, I know a fleet of sailboats looking...
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011