Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Teamwork

23 November 2011 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI
Picture: Pirate Tom, John, and Toby with new friend Dorado (Mahi-Mahi)... Norm on Camera
Author: Toby

I am just coming back to life from our Caribbean 1500 experience and have seen the great job Seth has done to document our 10 day crossing. Thank you Seth.

It has been quite an experience for our entire crew. Norm Weill signed up and became our communications officer. Tom Dempsey, with lot's of sailing, and boat mechanical and electronics experience, joined and became a super asset, including becoming our foredeck man (that's the guy who goes up front in 30 knots of breeze to reef). A great friend from Bloomfield Village, Michigan, John Hoffman, joined literally last minute, replacing Ed Cusick who ran out of time in Hampton with all the delays. Seth became our on-shore tactician and weatherman, and made the critical call on day three to "GO SOUTH"...against all the repeated advice by many to get as far east as possible. Then there was Otto. Without Otto, our Auto Pilot, we would have been worn out and probably made many mistakes. Then, our new friend, SAT, our satellite phone and gift from some thoughtful friends at the Van Tuvl Automotive Group, who gave us the link for the files Seth sent on weather and comments and advice form him and the Caribbean 1500 team. More about the team and their role in future notes.

For those interested in off-shore sailing, there is more than just the team on board. I never imagined how incredibly long and complex the task would be to prepare for this type of event. The fact that Seth and Elizabeth were able to prepare their s/v Honeymoon in two months surprises me. Although he had quit work and was on the boat and I was still mixing the two jobs up.

Joanne became a team member in action and support. She was in Hampton with us, kept things in order, provisioned us (more about food in a future blog) and kept all the crews family advised. Friends and family support means more then you can imagine, as for everyone on board, you are literally GONE for 2-3 weeks.

Then there is the pre-event work. Crosby Boat Yard on rigging and boat maintenance and repairs. The Caribbean 1500 staff and lecturers keeping us on track and letting us know what lies ahead.

The ground support in Hampton...especially Gaston who got our storm sail track working and fixed the battery relay problem that led me into buying a new Starter Battery the day before the first anticipated departure. And then there is Tom Dempsey, who threw all the electronics together over a three week period before and during departure.

And, of course, our friends at West Marine... I wonder why they all know my name??
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011