Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Learning!

09 November 2012
Toby
It is hard to spend six days on a boat, 24/7, sharing about 360 square feet, including one head, without learning important things. I would start first with the fact that open ocean sailing brings out the least in Political dissension. You have too much to concentrate on including sleep when you can get it. Maybe you know that there is no win with controversy, maybe your here for something else...like enjoying the experience. Even in the fleet, there is little Political discussion. We all have a common interest and common goal...getting 1500 miles south without incident. When the Presidential winner was announced on the morning SSB call in,there was a small cheer from a few when it was announced Obama had won then little else said. (Thank god it's over was all I could think.) The fleet then went to chat time on the SSB Radio and we worked out a number of boat problems like a Autohelm miss functioning, or a generator impeller issue. Miles Poor, to the rescue...probably one of the most knowledgeable boat people I have ever met and the reason we signed up for the Caribbean 1500.

I am constantly learning from our crew. Tony Green, a sailing instructor with great credentials, gives us new approaches to the problems we are all collectively working on. He and John Hoffman have now worked out a process to reef the main sail in about 3 minutes, with only the slightest discussion. I never know when we are reefed or not reefed, without looking or hearing them decide. It's beautiful. John Hoffman enjoys cooking. He is asking for such and such ingredient, or thinking of a different way to prepare even our packaged meals. Norm teaches me patience, as I watch him following our decisions and smoothly allow the process to work, while sucking in the joy of the experience. I could go on... we have a great crew and that makes for great relationships.

I have learned a few things myself.

First, always do the five cheese Stouffer's Lasagna before Latitude 32 degrees...its cooked at 400 degrees for over one hour and the galley gets HOT. Don't do it as we did last night, when you hit the tropics!

Second, five cheese lasagna for five, feeds eight. We got a full lunch serving from our fine dinner.

Third, crew mate Tony Green is kind to animals. This morning he proceeded to the fore-deck with food for our stowaway, "jack" sparrow, who I might add has become very friendly now that he is hungry. He makes an occasional lap around the boat, enters our cabin without fear, walks around picking up our crumbs and isnot afraid to walk between our legs.

Fourth, crew mate John Hoffman is anxiously awaiting for something to break. The second there is a problem he perks up and starts taking things apart or fixing them. Thank goodness the shower has broken. We must now figure it out. Ive had a hard time keeping John out of the sink closet where the pumps located.

Fifth, thanks to Miles Poor in this mornings SSB call, when the stuffing box chirps, it doesn't mean you will have to stop motoring. But, you will have to listen to the chirp. Its just salt residue between the Stainless Steel Ring and the Carbon seal...Also,what EVER YOU DO, don"t loosen the two steel clamps!

Sixth, when the helm squeaks, oil the lower cable pulleys in the aft cabin...but ask for help to put it back together.

Seventh, warn Norm that there are now screws from the helm cover in his bed after you complete the upside down job.

Eighth, buy more Coke Zero and Diet Coke...caffeine on the night shift is a must.

Ninth, catch Mahi-Mahi---as John did last night---it's a great meal!

So how do we stand. We are all a little tired. three hour naps and breaks are hard to keep the body running 100%. We are all enjoying each other. We started the first to see land wager ($1.00) at noon today, and everyone is already accusing each other of stalling to hit their time frame. Wee await the next meal, we want a shower but realize the shower pump died and will "need to work it out".
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011