Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Moving East

01 April 2013 | Mono Passage
Toby Hynes
So far our trip has been about as predicted weather wise. The winds, mostly on our rear quarter, have tended to be steady and in the 20-25 Knot range. With the Northern swells which we experienced the first three days (except our detour south of Puerto Rico) now moving to Eastern swells and the winds slightly moderating, we are experiencing a much more pleasant ride. Also, last night’s rain helped flatten the seas. Add some sleep, and clearing skies, and the good mood of the crew has turned even better. They can tell you in their own words later how good they really were.
Our Easter celebration was clearly dampened by the rough conditions. I somewhat expected it and never really put the wine in the fridge. We may need to hold the wine for Fort Lauderdale. Comocean also took a serious bath, cleaning much of the salt off the deck. On Monday, the boys arose to these flattened and improving conditions and each joined Comocean with a cleansing shower. Seth has predicted continuously diminished winds and improving conditions for the balance of this week…unfortunately that may bring on some motoring by late in the week. We are, after all, a sailboat!
Our progress toward the Greater Exumas (Georgetown), where we let Ron Theis off for his flight home, looks to be progressing very well. We are at noon today about two days off. That allows us to enter Georgetown about one day ahead of schedule so we will probably spend a nice day and evening at the Emerald Bay Marina on Little Exuma. A departure early the next afternoon is also necessary to ensure we make our way through the Highbourne and Nassau passes with sunlight (the only way we will go through, I might add). We will pass the Turks and Caicos this evening, however a nearly full moon, with these currently brilliant skies, may give us a glimpse of these very low islands.
Fishing has been a little disappointing. Perhaps it’s the 8000 foot deep water. We see plenty of flying fish which I occasionally clear off the decks. THEY STINK. Having just read two books, Unbroken and Life of PI, where flying fish, raw, were a mainstay, I have an even greater appreciation of the ability of humans to survive at sea. We will eat anything when hungry.
We have moved dinner to lunch time, so I will now prepare our super gourmet lunch. It’s not Stouffers however…but Gallant Gourmet. This must be a major brand in Tortola as the only Stouffers they carried was Lasagna. I would add at this point that we are on a meat diet. For whatever reason, all three Tortola supermarkets had NO chicken breasts. Hard to believe when you see Roosters in every lawn.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011