Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Lifes Amazing

02 April 2013 | North of Dominican Republic
Toby Hynes
Throw five guys on a 42 by 15 foot boat (max in the middle), and it is amazing how the strengths quickly work together to problem solve or fix everything. Throw in someone knowledgeable like Tom Trimmer, Someone inventive like John Hoffman, someone practical and cautious like Norm Weill, and someone willing to just join in at any command, and you have the makings of a great team. We have been through interesting moments (which Comocean has no problem handling). We have seen everyone use their talents to help solve the problem.
In the process, Tom Trimmer joined Toby Hynes in the night time "360 club". That's an unanticipated wind shift jibe in pitch darkness that finds you trying to chase the GPS headings (they lag) to find a proper course. The sails are flapping, everyone asleep awoken, and on deck (with proper life vest) on having experienced the thrill of a 360 degree turn with a port and starboard 20 degree lean within 30 seconds. Amusement parks have no better or thrilling rides! We have seen Tom, Norm and Toby, adding a second reef in the early dark when the major block has shattered on the foredeck. We have Norm reminded us we should have reefed earlier and then pitching in to solve our problem. He also told us we should have had a more conservative flight path to prevent the jibe (he is always right). Ron's muscle overcame our rigs weaknesses. In today's brilliant sea conditions (more later) we have John and Tom rearranging the fore deck to improve the line layout and reduce the tension on the lines. Tom also installed the new block after chasing down the cause of ball bearings found on the deck and in the cabin. By the way, there was never any risk or danger...just excitement.
We awoke today, with Ron at the helm to almost flat seas. The wind was dropping to 10 knots and is now about 5. About 10:00 AM we turned on the motor. And, may not turn it off for another two days or until we reach Georgetown. We will be one day ahead of schedule and spend the night there if things go as planned. John cooked French toast this morning. Actually he called it Jamaican toast as he could not find cinnamon and instead through in a little rum. ALL IS WELL ON COMOCEAN. Flat seas bring on a Pork Tenderloin for dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011