Travels with Complexity

16 September 2019 | Pangkor Marina, Malaysia
08 July 2017 | Dili, Timor-Leste
02 July 2017 | Ambon, Indonesia
08 June 2017 | Sorong, Indonesia, at anchor on South Side of Doom Island
06 May 2017 | Royal Belau Yacht Club mooring, Malakal Palau
05 May 2017 | Malakal, Palau
05 May 2017 | Malarial, Palau off Sam's Tours
13 April 2017 | Royal Belau Yacht Club, Malakal, Palau
12 April 2017 | Royal Belau Yacht Club, Malakal, Palau
15 March 2017 | Rock Islands, Palau
14 March 2017 | Coffin Anchorage, Rock Islands, Palau
13 March 2017 | Fish Net Anchorage, Rock Islands, Palau
04 February 2017 | Malakal, Palau
21 December 2016 | Malakal Port, Palau
20 December 2016
18 December 2016
17 December 2016
17 December 2016
15 December 2016
14 December 2016

Badge of Honour

14 March 2017 | Coffin Anchorage, Rock Islands, Palau
By Barbara - weather sunny and dry
Jim has been marked as a squid fisherman. A fellow cruiser dropped by the boat to give Jim a fail proof squid jig for Palau right before we cast off the lines to go to the Rock Islands in the Southern Lagoon. Jim and our friends, Dan and Yuing, had tried unsuccessfully to catch squid when they were aboard for a week long trip to the Rock Islands.

My darling found catching squid there irresistible. He was advised to use clear line with the squid jig. The only clear line he had ready to go was on the rod and reel we bought for Abi as a preschooler. The tiny pink and purple Shakespeare Rainbow Original wound with six pound CLEAR monofilament line served with distinction.

Squid congregated around our boat, especially around the anchor chain, almost every day. The curious little creatures found the juggling jig irresistible. Jim had great luck catching them.

I confess the squid were also such beautiful big-eyed creatures that I could not watch him kill and clean them. They gazed at me pitifully suggesting that I pour them overboard while the Captain was fishing for more. They swam in a bucket of salt water on the deck after he caught them until right before dinner. It was interesting to watch them change color to match our rust-spotted, not-so-stainless steel fire bucket. I know that it is illogical to not want to do the deed though I so enjoying eating the squid. They were yummy.

Jim has a favorite very bright orange North Face shirt. It is a very sensible color for dingy exploring and snorkeling in waters where dive and tour boats are driven at mad speeds even around blind curves and passes of which there are MANY in the Rock Islands. Jim loves the shirt so much he wears it many days beyond when it should have been retired to the dirty laundry bag. Yes, I know it is a guy thing. Hey, maybe wearing it for a swim or snorkel is almost as good as washing it, right?!!! I looked in vain in many outdoor stores, including the North Face store in Waiheke, while in the USA to buy him another or two. Alas, North Face has moved on to new trends.

Almost without exception the squid spray their ink wildly after being caught. You guessed it, black squid ink now decorates Jim's favorite neon orange North Face shirt. I have been trying to get it out for days using all of my usually successful laundry tricks. No joy. Jim has even tried his hand at scrubbing it out.

After returning to a place with weak WIFI access, Jim's highest priority was to surf for tips to remove squid ink stains from clothing. There were a very limited number of helpful suggestions. If the shirt were white, bleach might do the trick. Did you know that squid ink was the original basis for sepia dyes? The fact that squid ink is sought as a dye should give you a hint. The most promising solution involved scissors. Another was to wear the squid ink-stained garment as the badge of honor of a successful squid fisherman.
Comments
Vessel Name: Complexity
Vessel Make/Model: Halberg Rassy 36
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA, USA
Crew: Jim, Barbara and Abi Cole
About:
We sailed from Seattle, USA to Port Stephens, Australia in 2008. Jim has since worked for Boeing at Williamtown Royal Australian Air Force Base on the Wedgetail airplane before retiring at the end of 2015. [...]
Extra: http://www.marinerescuensw.com.au barbara.cole@svcomplexity.com jw.cole@svcomplexity.com
Social:
Complexity's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 15 July 2017
September 2016
3 Photos
Created 16 September 2016
We spent months getting the boat and ourselves ready to go cruising again after living on the beach for seven years.
79 Photos
Created 7 May 2016
We took the summer of 2005 off from work and sailed to Glacier Bay, Alaska and back to Seattle. Jim and I made the whole trip. Meps and Barry cruised with us from Seattle to Juneau. Carol, Alex and Abby joined us for a week in Glacier Bay. Abby sailed the rest of the trip with us from Glacier Bay back to Seattle.
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 16 August 2005