Polite Compromise

Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau/Oceanis 41
Hailing Port: Houston Texas
Crew: Karen and Ron Anderson
About: Married for 44 years. Kids grown and gone. Decided we wanted another adventure (like raising kids wasn't enough) and brag about it. The commodore and I are off on another one of our adventures.
Extra: I was once told that the secret to a successful marriage is polite compromise. I'm still not sure what is so polite about it.
Home Page: Facebook
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia
17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina
29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala
22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 December 2017 | Titusville, FL
28 November 2017 | Anchored just south of Brunswick, GA
08 August 2017 | Portsmouth, VA
19 July 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Marathon City Marina - Boot Key Harbor
03 March 2017
09 June 2016 | Galveston, TX
01 June 2016 | Pensacola, FL
23 May 2016 | Moving from Key West to Dry Tortugas
16 May 2016 | Marathon City Marina, Boot Key - Marathon, FL
06 May 2016 | Hope Town Harbour, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
16 April 2016 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
09 April 2016 | Cherokee Point, Abacos, Bahamas
Recent Blog Posts
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama

Hello Panama

26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia

Another new stamp in my passport

It's time to move!! We left the Rio in late October, traveling for a while with Kemah friends, Tracie and Steve on "Saga Sea". Once we reached open water, they turned north to Belize and we went south to Honduras. The main areas of the Bay Islands of Honduras are Utilla, Roatan, Guanaja, and Cayos [...]

17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina

Stuff Happens

There is really only one word to describe the Rio Dulce in August/September… HOT! It is the rainy season so you get wet at least once a day, but overall it is just miserably hot! No breeze to cool off with but you open the hatches anyway. Bugs are out and mosquitos are everywhere.

29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala

View from the Bow

Summer is racing past! It’s the end of August already and we are starting to make tentative plans for whatever comes next.

12 May 2018

Bienvenido a Rio Dulce Guatemala

We left Key West and motor sailed for three days, arriving in Isla Mujeres Mexico on April 14th. Trying to stay out of the Gulf Stream, we went south to get close to Cuba (about 10-20 miles offshore) and take advantage of a small counter-current. Once we passed Cuba and entered the Yucatan Straits, [...]

22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL

Good bye Bahamas

It has been a busy past few months! We left Titusville in early January and moved south, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 14th. We stayed just long enough to pick up mail, resupply the galley, take Ron to the dentist, and wait for that all important Weather Window. We pared up with another boat, [...]

Home Again

09 June 2016 | Galveston, TX
Karen/Sunny and bright
I have been trying to step up a bit and take on more responsibilities around the boat: handling sails, emptying the holding tank in the head, keeping all the hand-held equipment charged, learning more about the navigation systems, understanding all of the systems in the boat. Ron kept the water maker running all day to get us a full tank of water. So when he was finished and needed to close the equipment down, I offered to close the valve and shut off the water maker. Only, I closed the wrong valve and during the course of the evening - managed to dump ALL of the fresh water we had overboard. Aarrgh! All 90 gallons. The good news is that I didn’t break anything. The bad news is that we had to use the few bottles of clean water we keep for emergencies to make coffee and brush our teeth. Maybe I should just stick with taking care of the head. I think I can manage that equipment. Just call me “Poop Girl”…

Tropical Storm Colin has been moving around the GOM so we’ve been keeping an eye on the weather and trying to stay out of it’s way. We sailed from Pensacola and did another long hop and arrived in Port Eads, LA to tuck into their marina for fuel, to fill up our water tank, and rest. I actually saw an alligator swimming across the marina but didn’t have the camera ready. Loved this place! They treated us like visiting relatives and made us comfortable immediately (kept calling me Miss Karen and bringing me iced tea). There are no roads leading here so the staff (mostly college kids) is brought in by boat and stay for a month at a time - pretty remote. It is a fish “camp” and you can rent a slip for your boat, or a bed for the night - or both! No phone signal, but they had wifi!

We stayed for one night and then pushed offshore again to Grand Isle for our next stop and anchorage. During the night the boat rocked and bucked around quite a bit. We recorded 50 mph winds! TS Colin was making his presence known. The storm made landfall east of us in Florida. Next morning, we headed out and sailed to Cat Island Pass and started to make our way up to the ICW. We figured it would be more protected from winds, plus we would be able to get fuel/water/supplies if we needed them.

I love coming to Louisiana. Maybe it’s because we have personal/family history here. Maybe it’s the bayous, most definitely it’s the people. Whatever the reason, I always enjoy my time here. I took lots of photos from the back of the boat - of shrimp boats, oil platforms, sunsets, birds, mossy trees, alligators, mounds of floating hyacinth in the bayous, whatever caught my eye. During one section at DuLac, we had to call the bastille bridge ahead of us to ask for permission to cross. The radio operator answered and said to call him when we got closer. “Call when you get to the rich man’s camp”. Not quite sure what that was, we thought we had misunderstood and he said “Richmond” or something - so we watched the bank. The fish camps we had seen were normally shacks or old houses on the water edge. Just a place to go fishing. When we rounded the last bend, we saw what he meant. There were luxurious little cabins build on stilts, with concrete bulkheads, landscaping, and underwater lighting. (Kind of like Tiki Island?) Most definitely a rich man’s fishing camp. Later on when we heard a tug boat skipper on the radio saying he was just passing the “rich man’s house”, we knew exactly what he was talking about!

We spent an evening in Houma, enjoyed a quick visit with an old friend and made a stop at the Fluff & Fold laundry mat (we were starting to become slightly ashamed of ourselves…). Ron had used our satellite tracker to pull up a weather report and saw that it was clear on this side of the GOM. Light winds with small seas. Time to go home. Our last last stop in Louisiana would be going through the lock on the Fresh Water Bayou before heading back into the Gulf. We had decided to do one more long jump (133 nm) and get ourselves to Texas. Another overnight sail, but it was an easy ride with a steady wind. We reached the Galveston jetties around lunchtime and are anchored tonight in the Galveston Yacht Basin. The wake from the Bolivar ferry is giving us a little rocking and we are ready for a rest.

I'll write more later as we plan for the next trip.
-- Karen.
Comments
Compromise's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 4 March 2016
Deadline run from Sanibel to Marathon via the Florida Bay. Crab pots and all.
11 Photos
Created 21 December 2015
some pic of offshore sunsets and sunrises.
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2015
Sights as we travel along the ditch (GIWW)
19 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
8 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
Photos, Nov 8-11.
11 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
TRip from Galveston to Marathon
5 Photos
Created 9 November 2015
Pictures of sailing in and around the Texas Coast and ICW. Just havin' fun.
14 Photos
Created 6 October 2015

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups