Polite Compromise

Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau/Oceanis 41
Hailing Port: Houston Texas
Crew: Karen and Ron Anderson
About: Married for 44 years. Kids grown and gone. Decided we wanted another adventure (like raising kids wasn't enough) and brag about it. The commodore and I are off on another one of our adventures.
Extra: I was once told that the secret to a successful marriage is polite compromise. I'm still not sure what is so polite about it.
Home Page: Facebook
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia
17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina
29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala
22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 December 2017 | Titusville, FL
28 November 2017 | Anchored just south of Brunswick, GA
08 August 2017 | Portsmouth, VA
19 July 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Marathon City Marina - Boot Key Harbor
03 March 2017
09 June 2016 | Galveston, TX
01 June 2016 | Pensacola, FL
23 May 2016 | Moving from Key West to Dry Tortugas
16 May 2016 | Marathon City Marina, Boot Key - Marathon, FL
06 May 2016 | Hope Town Harbour, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
16 April 2016 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
09 April 2016 | Cherokee Point, Abacos, Bahamas
Recent Blog Posts
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama

Hello Panama

26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia

Another new stamp in my passport

It's time to move!! We left the Rio in late October, traveling for a while with Kemah friends, Tracie and Steve on "Saga Sea". Once we reached open water, they turned north to Belize and we went south to Honduras. The main areas of the Bay Islands of Honduras are Utilla, Roatan, Guanaja, and Cayos [...]

17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina

Stuff Happens

There is really only one word to describe the Rio Dulce in August/September… HOT! It is the rainy season so you get wet at least once a day, but overall it is just miserably hot! No breeze to cool off with but you open the hatches anyway. Bugs are out and mosquitos are everywhere.

29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala

View from the Bow

Summer is racing past! It’s the end of August already and we are starting to make tentative plans for whatever comes next.

12 May 2018

Bienvenido a Rio Dulce Guatemala

We left Key West and motor sailed for three days, arriving in Isla Mujeres Mexico on April 14th. Trying to stay out of the Gulf Stream, we went south to get close to Cuba (about 10-20 miles offshore) and take advantage of a small counter-current. Once we passed Cuba and entered the Yucatan Straits, [...]

22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL

Good bye Bahamas

It has been a busy past few months! We left Titusville in early January and moved south, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 14th. We stayed just long enough to pick up mail, resupply the galley, take Ron to the dentist, and wait for that all important Weather Window. We pared up with another boat, [...]

SPAM! It's what's for dinner!

20 April 2017 | Marathon City Marina - Boot Key Harbor
Karen/Late evening and windy
Compromise is tied to a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor. It’s pretty windy tonight so we are rocking and rolling along with all of our new neighbors. The trip south down the western side of Florida included stops in Pensacola, Port St. Joe, Tarpon Springs/Clearwater, and Naples before we sailed into the Keys. While we were in Pensacola, we were anchored next to s/v Krakato - we had recognized the boat from our morning walks at Waterford Harbor so we dinghy-ed over to say hi! And while we were in Naples, we visited with Steve and Donna, s/v Moondance. It was so great to see them and catch up!

Our roughest passage was on an overnight sail from Pensacola to Port St. Joe. We typically check the weather forecast using at least three separate sources before we ever leave port. And even then you can sometimes be surprised! Night sails are still not my favorite, but I’m getting somewhat accustomed to them and we have a pretty good routine - three hours on and three hours off. Music on the stereo, lots of snacks, CRAP, and a thermos full of hot coffee. I had made a quiche ahead of time so we could have an easy dinner in the cockpit while we sailed. Ron likes SPAM (weird, I know) so I added some the quiche instead of bacon - I’m nice like that! The night started out okay, but got progressively worse. The weather was still cold and wet so we were using our foul weather gear including life vests and jack-line tethers. My watch from midnight to 3am was pretty stressful with wind in the mid-20kts and 6 foot waves. I wasn't feeling very well, regretting eating the SPAM… and counting the minutes until I could wake Ron up to hand off the watch. He always takes the 3am to 6am shift since that seems to be the hardest one. I crawled into the bunk and tried to catch a little sleep (while being tossed around in the dark) when Ron came to wake me up. He wanted me to hurry - get dressed and up on deck “just in case”! The winds had kicked up to 35+ knots and seas were easily 8 feet or higher. Ron was worried about a possible knock down. I helped him pull the sails down and secure everything - although some of the cabinets down in the boat had bounced open and we could hear pots/pans/bottles/cans rolling around. We gave up trying to navigate altogether and just tried to keep our nose in the wind. The SPAM that had been such a good idea earlier was now seriously barking at the back of my throat. It all seemed to last for hours, but the wind finally died down around sunrise. I looked at what was recorded on the chart plotter afterwards, and our sailing track looked like a tangle of string! We suffered no damage, except to our nerves - and my stomach! We joke about it now, but I don’t ever want to see SPAM on my plate again.

Somewhere between Naples and the Keys, our chart plotter decided to quit. Since it’s still under warranty, Ron boxed it up and sent it back to the manufacturer for repairs. The whole process has taken a couple of weeks so we’ve been resting up and enjoying ourselves in Marathon - meeting new people, learning how to play Mexican Train dominos, taking yoga classes, riding bikes - and getting ready for the next trip. We’re going south, to Cuba!

I’ll be posting photos later!
Karen.
Comments
Compromise's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 4 March 2016
Deadline run from Sanibel to Marathon via the Florida Bay. Crab pots and all.
11 Photos
Created 21 December 2015
some pic of offshore sunsets and sunrises.
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2015
Sights as we travel along the ditch (GIWW)
19 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
8 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
Photos, Nov 8-11.
11 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
TRip from Galveston to Marathon
5 Photos
Created 9 November 2015
Pictures of sailing in and around the Texas Coast and ICW. Just havin' fun.
14 Photos
Created 6 October 2015

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups