Polite Compromise

Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau/Oceanis 41
Hailing Port: Houston Texas
Crew: Karen and Ron Anderson
About: Married for 44 years. Kids grown and gone. Decided we wanted another adventure (like raising kids wasn't enough) and brag about it. The commodore and I are off on another one of our adventures.
Extra: I was once told that the secret to a successful marriage is polite compromise. I'm still not sure what is so polite about it.
Home Page: Facebook
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia
17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina
29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala
22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 December 2017 | Titusville, FL
28 November 2017 | Anchored just south of Brunswick, GA
08 August 2017 | Portsmouth, VA
19 July 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Marathon City Marina - Boot Key Harbor
03 March 2017
09 June 2016 | Galveston, TX
01 June 2016 | Pensacola, FL
23 May 2016 | Moving from Key West to Dry Tortugas
16 May 2016 | Marathon City Marina, Boot Key - Marathon, FL
06 May 2016 | Hope Town Harbour, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
16 April 2016 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
09 April 2016 | Cherokee Point, Abacos, Bahamas
Recent Blog Posts
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama

Hello Panama

26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia

Another new stamp in my passport

It's time to move!! We left the Rio in late October, traveling for a while with Kemah friends, Tracie and Steve on "Saga Sea". Once we reached open water, they turned north to Belize and we went south to Honduras. The main areas of the Bay Islands of Honduras are Utilla, Roatan, Guanaja, and Cayos [...]

17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina

Stuff Happens

There is really only one word to describe the Rio Dulce in August/September… HOT! It is the rainy season so you get wet at least once a day, but overall it is just miserably hot! No breeze to cool off with but you open the hatches anyway. Bugs are out and mosquitos are everywhere.

29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala

View from the Bow

Summer is racing past! It’s the end of August already and we are starting to make tentative plans for whatever comes next.

12 May 2018

Bienvenido a Rio Dulce Guatemala

We left Key West and motor sailed for three days, arriving in Isla Mujeres Mexico on April 14th. Trying to stay out of the Gulf Stream, we went south to get close to Cuba (about 10-20 miles offshore) and take advantage of a small counter-current. Once we passed Cuba and entered the Yucatan Straits, [...]

22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL

Good bye Bahamas

It has been a busy past few months! We left Titusville in early January and moved south, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 14th. We stayed just long enough to pick up mail, resupply the galley, take Ron to the dentist, and wait for that all important Weather Window. We pared up with another boat, [...]

Outer Banks of North Carolina

08 August 2017 | Portsmouth, VA
Karen - Rainy/Afternoon
The Outer Banks of North Carolina were gorgeous! We left Oriental three weeks ago and sailed across Pamlico Sound to Ocracoke Island, which is the southern end of the Outer Banks and part of the Hatteras National Seashore. It was a 40 mile trip and took us most of the day. There is a lot of shoaling so the approach to harbour entrance is a bit tricky. Very narrow with lots of twists and turns, and busy ferry traffic. Inside the small harbour is the National Park Service Dock with room for half a dozen boats. Ron purchased a park pass for $10.00 which gave us a discounted dock fee, $0.60 per foot plus $5.00 for electricity. Beautiful spot with the lighthouse in the distance and the docks are only a short walk to town.

Ocracoke inlet is the only one that leads directly into Pamlico Sound - making it very popular with early travelers. Which is why Edward Teach, otherwise known as Black Beard the pirate, made it his home base. Teach’s Hole is a deep water area just outside of the harbour where he would bring his ship, Queen Anne’s Revenge. We pulled out our bikes and rode all over town - to the beach, lighthouse, Pirate Museum, grocery store. We got to know our dock neighbors (Richard and Lil) who took us to Springer’s Point and showed us how to hunt for clams.

We had to make a quick overnight trip back to Oriental to pick up a boat part Ron had ordered. When we returned to Ocracoke, we were notified that due to an electrical outage a mandatory evacuation had been issued for all tourists on the island. The power lines leading to the banks had been accidentally cut during bridge construction near Hatteras Island. Emergency generators where working but electricity was limited and some of the businesses had to close. Additionally, a small craft advisory had been issued due to high winds in the sound so we couldn’t leave. Oh, darn!! Stuck on a beautiful island, with no tourists, empty beaches, and open restaurants…

After a couple of days, the winds calmed down and we were able to move further north. We sailed past the Hatteras Light House and anchored off of Manteo and Roanoke Island - where Sir Walter Raleigh’s colonists landed in 1587. Lots of local history. Ron and I toured the Festival Park and Museum. Our boat was anchored off of the lighthouse, within sight of their restored historic sailing vessel. Pretty busy spot - local tour boats ran right past us, re-enacting pirate battles using water cannons!

We hired an Uber driver to take us to Kitty Hawk for the day. We walked all over Kill Devil Hills and around the Wright Brothers Monument. Park rangers gave an excellent talk and you could see just how remarkable the Wright brothers’ achievement was. The whole sight was very impressive and well worth the visit.

After leaving Manteo, we continued on through the Albemarle Sound and moved back into the ICW. We are now in Portsmouth, VA, and are staying at a free city dock while we plan our next leg. Rainy weather has kept us here for a couple of days so we’ve been walking around town and taking advantage of riding the local ferry which is docked right next to us. If there is a downside, it’s that the ferry must sound his horn (one long and three shorts) every time he leaves his dock - which is every hour all day long!!

We did a little math and added up the mileage from our combined trips since we started this “adventure” and saw that we’ve travelled over 5,000 nautical miles. And we’re still not done…
Comments
Compromise's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 4 March 2016
Deadline run from Sanibel to Marathon via the Florida Bay. Crab pots and all.
11 Photos
Created 21 December 2015
some pic of offshore sunsets and sunrises.
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2015
Sights as we travel along the ditch (GIWW)
19 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
8 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
Photos, Nov 8-11.
11 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
TRip from Galveston to Marathon
5 Photos
Created 9 November 2015
Pictures of sailing in and around the Texas Coast and ICW. Just havin' fun.
14 Photos
Created 6 October 2015

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups