S.V Condesa Del Mar

23 meter Herreshoff Schooner built in Wilmington Boat Yard California 1970 onwards. Fit out completed mid 1990's. Mark and Jenny Gaskell purchased Condesa November 2011 and crossed the Pacific Ocean in 2012.

25 October 2023 | Keppel Bay Marina
19 October 2023 | Rescue Bay -Middle Percy Island
13 October 2023 | Hamilton Island
30 September 2023 | Wide bay Bar
06 September 2023 | Brisbane australia
24 August 2023 | The Panama Canal
19 August 2023 | Linton Bay Panamá
11 August 2023 | Bonaire
07 August 2023 | Bonaire par of the king do of the Netherlands
01 August 2023 | Dominica
26 July 2023 | Antigua, West Indies
10 February 2023 | Hobart
06 March 2022 | Brisbane River
08 December 2021 | Gold Coast Queensland
20 November 2021 | Southport Yacht Club
17 November 2021 | The Great Sandy Straights
13 November 2021 | Coral Sea
06 November 2021 | Keppel Bay Marina
28 October 2021 | Hamilton Island heading south
13 October 2021 | Hook Island

Fitting back in....

02 November 2012 | Brisbane Australia
jennyg
There you have it, the day came when we said “yes” to exit Port Bundaberg and head off 250 odd NM to Port Brisbane. Of course we use the weather as our guide to choose the right time to leave, but then again it is all in the interpretation of the report. Don’t tell he who hums, but I now realise that they (the sailors) can read into it whatever they want. If you walk the marina and chat to them, half will say it is good to go and half will say it is not good. Either way, another week has flown by us up here and ‘someone’.... who hums a short tune was getting toey. The day we got the weather we took a while to digest the options but over dinner you could read that he was already untying the lines in his mind and working his way out of the channel. Making a run with no wind didn’t sound right to me (ps I call this is a ‘blue’ decision not a ‘pink’ one), but by Saturday 3rd November there is more ugly weather forecast from the south. So! Things to consider before you pull up anchor and make the dash back to life as you knew it.
FIRST: Are you able to talk to more than one person at a time?; Are you ready for the work phone to start ringing?; Are you ready to pack away the sailing survival kit and pull out the office supplies; Are you ready for the clock alarm to replace the bilge alarm?; Trade the thongs , beach hair, 5 o’clock shadows, block out traded for makeup, dingy ditched for a car and sundowners replaced by the 6 o’clock news Ugggg!...... and it goes on as there is much more to think about prior to returning back into your life and the closer it comes the more you can’t deny that the experience has changed you. I guess it is time to hang up my catering hat; Pedro can ditch the mast harness and his Super Pedro cape; and Captain Humming can take off his Captain’s hat and that weight belt labelled ‘responsibility’ that he has had firmly buckled on since we set sail in Mexico. You my captain (and Pedro) have managed to get us all home safely.... in one piece and no scars to talk of (except the black eye I have from the window latch in the shower). My Hummer you can now free yourself for some new light tunes as you have accomplished all you set out to do. So TICK that box - we have sailed 1/3 of the way around the world together in this space AND we still love each other! When we first stood in front of the ‘larger than life’ world map 2 years ago I knew when he arced his pointer across the wide spanse of Pacific Ocean before he paused at a minute dot of an island that we were in for hell of a sail. But we had no concept that this journey would entail so many diverse experiences, so many wonderful friendships, so many cultures, nationalities, cuisines, languages, and repairs ha! I think we knew about the maintenance as you could not expect 24 hr Murphy to miss the boat. I guess we best we set the alarm as we have got people to see, places to go, and things to do here in hometown Brisbane and they are just as awesome and diverse. And luckily we have “Condesa” our familiar and new home, to come back to every night to ween ourselves back into city/river living. It depends who you are speaking to when describing Condesa, but we say she is 60ft+ Schooner however the “+” is actually another 14ft so that makes her 74ft really truly. Therefore she is not easy to find a place for as she swings a very wide circle of love. For now she is bound for the Gateway Marina in the Brisbane River where we can complete the required pest control work to be totally cleared. Speaking of larger than life – I think you Captain Humming are taller than before we left home and rightly so. Well done - so proud of this achievement...... it wasn’t all about lying under palm trees, sipping cocktails and writing postcards. I actually got used to chatting to your bum when your head was in the motor and I almost let you get away with wayward hair because you were too seasick to care, along with the 10 o’clock shadow when it was too rough to do personal maintenance .....and, I do stare at that little patch you wear behind your ear when I whisper sweet nothings to make sure it is still in place for you. I can’t wait to sketch out our next dream in the sand. Oh and in case you didn’t know I will be your wing man any day.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Condesa Del Mar
Vessel Make/Model: Herreshoff Schooner 73 ft
Hailing Port: Southport Brisbane Australia
Crew: Mark & Jenny Gaskell
About:
Boat and water lovers from the east coast of Queensland. Both Mark and Jenny enjoyed an upbringing holidaying on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast where the smell of the ocean is ingrained at a young age. The passion grew with each vessel large and small over the years. [...]
Extra: Having conquered the east coast of Queensland Australia the biggest challenge and adventure was crossing the Pacific ocean in 2012 just months after purchasing. Leaving La Paz Mexico in March 2012 reaching for Australian waters October 2012. We love the simplicity and beauty of being live-aboards.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svcondesa
Social:
La Condesa Del Mar's Photos - Main
The return to our favourite spot in the Percy group. Two days was not enough but we will return 🤩
1 Photo
Created 5 July 2021
The surprise week with the kids in Musket Cove
38 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Throughout Fiji Islands
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Our Puddle Jump Celebrations on Moorea Island
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Discovering Tahiti and family come to visit Condesa
20 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
This little escapade was one of my favorites maybe it was the great company we had
16 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
This is the river discovery as inthe blog Free Falling
19 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our stint in the remote beauty of Suwarrow
26 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our trek deep into the Cascades on Nuku Hiva
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
21 days at sea
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
Day 21 onwards !
3 Photos
Created 14 May 2012
Here are files of photos from purchase to preparation for the Puddle Jump
20 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Captured as we worked
28 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Our 6 weeks in La PAz we have has a ball and celebrated with the locals and the fleet. We have worked hard and will reep the rewards at sea.
22 Photos
Created 11 April 2012
When out and about I snapped a few styles of homes and buildings - enjoy
26 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
The word "carnaval". The general consensus is that it evolved during the middle ages, as part of the Roman Catholic ritual of lent. I hear it concludes on 'Fat Tuesday'???
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
The journey south from Guaymas to La Paz
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
From Day 1 - Day 7 The preparation to launch La Condesa Del Mar to sail the Sea of Cortez
18 Photos
Created 4 January 2012