Convergence

12 June 2017 | North of Gulf Stream
11 June 2017 | Bermuda
10 June 2017 | Bermuda
31 May 2017 | 31 51�' N 63 14�' W
30 May 2017 | 30 58�' N 60 26�' W
27 May 2017
25 May 2017
24 May 2017
22 May 2017
22 May 2017
20 May 2017 | 26 21' N, 24 55' W
17 May 2017
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Marina Canary Islands
28 February 2011

Tests on Night One

17 May 2017
Randy
We did leave on the day we said we would. Only 4 hours later than planned.

Last minute issues like mailing post cards, getting the latest weather, picking up freshly baked bread, taking the last off boat shower, saying good byes and checking out with immigration which is handled by the port police here.

Incoming and exit "Formalities" can take a tiresome full day of filling out forms for immigration, customs and the port captain who in many ports are not at all conveniently located and some who in their opinion have better things to do. When we arrived in Lanzarote the port police came to our boat, didn't even board and quickly stamped our passports. Less than 5 minutes. We went to the port office to check out and met two pleasant port police. They spoke perfect English, smiled, stamped our passports and sent us on our way. No other paperwork needed. Pleasant!

It had been blowing NE at 10 to 17 knots in the marina the past few days. We had been downloading GRIB weather files which tell the strength and direction of the wind all along our route. They all predicted 15 to 20 knots from the NNE the first few days of the voyage. Then decreasing to 10 or less and veering to easterly/from behind until we reach the half way point, about a week.

Over the years cruising on Convergence we have averaged 200 nautical miles a day, an average of 8.3 knots. We carry 400 gallons of fuel so we can motor over 1500 miles if needed. The boat goes well in light wind but not very fast with less than 10 knots of breeze on our stern. But if we position ourselves well south of the rhumb line by the time the wind gets light we won't have to sail with light wind on the stern and can head north to maintain good speed. So we planned on not sailing a straight rhumb line to Bermuda but to go several degrees south of rhumb line when the wind is up and then sailing north when the wind is lighter and motoring if we are not maintaining "reasonable" speed, 5/6 knots or so. Yes we are spoiled by being aboard a fast boat. . .We are not racing and we like fast passages.

We had our crew safety meeting and left the dock at 1300, later that planned but then there is no rush. The first hour was delightful sailing in about 15 knots and gently rolling seas. Just what we wanted. Then the wind died. We were in the lee of the island. So we tuned on the engine to motor out from behind the island. Before we got there the wind reversed itself coming from the south west! A back eddy caused by the many calderas on Lanzarote. Once we came out from behind the island the wind changed to the expected 17 or so knots. We adjusted sail and headed off between Grand Canaria and Fuerte Ventura under full main and no mizzen.

Sally-Christine served a delightful dinner of potato salad and vegetable soup that she had prepared in the days before we sailed, along with another 14 days of meals. No wine on passage. . .
Comments
Vessel Name: Convergence
Vessel Make/Model: Wylie 65
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
Crew: Sally-Christine Rodgers, Kent-Harris Repass, Randy Repass
Extra:
For more information about the boat including photos go to: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BoatingExpertsView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Randy-Repass-The-Convergence For information about "What Worked and What didn't" go to: [...]
Convergence's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.