Convergence

12 June 2017 | North of Gulf Stream
11 June 2017 | Bermuda
10 June 2017 | Bermuda
31 May 2017 | 31 51�' N 63 14�' W
30 May 2017 | 30 58�' N 60 26�' W
27 May 2017
25 May 2017
24 May 2017
22 May 2017
22 May 2017
20 May 2017 | 26 21' N, 24 55' W
17 May 2017
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Marina Canary Islands
28 February 2011

Half Way!

24 May 2017
Randy
A front went through yesterday afternoon. The wind shifted from SSW at 15 to 17 knots to ENE at 12 to 14. Now we are sailing very comfortably averaging about 8 knots boat speed at 280 magnetic. About 20 degrees south of rhumb line to stay south of light winds over the next few days. Even so we expect to be motor sailing within the next 24 hours to keep up speed as the wind lightens and comes around to East and on the stern. Wind from behind is good but light wind from behind means you go slow.

We have been sailing 7 days and just passed the half way mark! ETA is Thursday or Friday June 1 or 2.

Photo of cockpit instruments mounted on mizzen mast (DTD Distance To Destination, WPTBRG Waypoint (Bermuda) Bearing, COG Course Over Ground, AWS Apparent Wind Speed, TWS True Wind Speed, AWA Apparent Wind Angle, TWA True Wind Angle)

Two days ago there was a strange Sulphur like smell that we could not identify even after checking everywhere. We found out yesterday when we tried starting the engine. The start battery had an internal short, boiled off its electrolyte making the stink, and was not able to start the engine. And of course we need the engine for motoring in light wind and to keep the batteries charged. We have backups for all of critical systems. In this case we have a power cable from the house battery bank in the center of the boat 20 feet back to the engine battery with a switch to connect the two. So when we needed the engine to motor for a few hours during the wind transition we connected the house bank and were off.

We've had time to make minor boat repairs, always something to improve, shower on the aft deck, eat well, do some reading, listen to audio books, contemplate. . . and of course keep the boat sailing efficiently. Wish sailing was like this all the time. . .

Sally-Christine has done wonders with all meals. She gets tonight off as Kent-Harris is preparing a favorite, nachos, for dinner. RR
Comments
Vessel Name: Convergence
Vessel Make/Model: Wylie 65
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
Crew: Sally-Christine Rodgers, Kent-Harris Repass, Randy Repass
Extra:
For more information about the boat including photos go to: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BoatingExpertsView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Randy-Repass-The-Convergence For information about "What Worked and What didn't" go to: [...]
Convergence's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.