Convergence

12 June 2017 | North of Gulf Stream
11 June 2017 | Bermuda
10 June 2017 | Bermuda
31 May 2017 | 31 51�' N 63 14�' W
30 May 2017 | 30 58�' N 60 26�' W
27 May 2017
25 May 2017
24 May 2017
22 May 2017
22 May 2017
20 May 2017 | 26 21' N, 24 55' W
17 May 2017
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Marina Canary Islands
28 February 2011

Sailing In Good Company

28 May 2017
Randy
We were visited by a big pod of dolphins. The first we have seen since the Canaries. We have been surprised by the lack of marine life so far. We have seen a handful of seabirds, a few flying fish, some Sargasso weed, no whales and this one very active pod of dolphins.

Dolphins dancing at the bow are always cause for excitement aboard. We have had countless pods join us in the many seas we have sailed over the years. Amazing mammals that surface momentarily to quickly exhale and take in fresh air all in a split second. They seem joyous and as fascinated by us as we with them as they played in the bow wave for at least half an hour providing many photo opportunities. One wonders where they spend their time and where are the fish that they need for their seemingly boundless energy.

After 2100 miles and 11 days we have seen 5 radar targets. Not much activity out here. But then we are in the middle of the Atlantic!

At 1600 Kent-Harris spotted a ship on the horizon 11 miles ahead. It was headed SW perpendicular to our course. Then at 1800 Randy spotted a weak radar target at 6 miles. It was headed on a line directly toward us at 5 knots which added to our 7 knots in his direction was 12 knot closing speed. At 3 miles out we could make out a sailboat flying a green, white and yellow spinnaker.

We tried hailing them on VHF channel 16 at 3 miles with no response. Then boat was headed to pass about ¼ mile to windward of us. We hailed again at 1 mile out, no reply. Finally when the boat was close abeam we could see one person in the cockpit and boat replied with a strong French accent, I replied “Bonsoir Masseur”, the total extent of my French. He replied “Hi Guy”. s/v “Thera” is headed for Horta, Azores 1400 miles distant. Lots of sailboats that came over to the Caribbean last November in the ARC (Atlantic Race for Cruisers, over 200 yachts) or just sailed over on their own are headed home to Europe before the hurricane season.

Winds have been between 6 and 10 on the beam the past several hours and are predicted to stay that for the next couple of days. We have been making 6 to 7 knots. While we would like to be sailing faster, the sailing is delightfully peaceful.

540 Miles to go. RR
Comments
Vessel Name: Convergence
Vessel Make/Model: Wylie 65
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
Crew: Sally-Christine Rodgers, Kent-Harris Repass, Randy Repass
Extra:
For more information about the boat including photos go to: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BoatingExpertsView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Randy-Repass-The-Convergence For information about "What Worked and What didn't" go to: [...]
Convergence's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.