S/V SweetEscape

with Your Cruising Editor

Returning to the Cruising Life

It's T-minus 1 month... and life is insane!

I guess that making one's mind up quickly, to dramatically rearrange one's life, is both a blessing and a nightmare!

We have been together pretty much full-time since 1998, when we first met at the Alameda YC. 10 months later, we sailed out the Golden Gate. Our motto: "We got no plans and we're stickin' to 'em!" We have always been on the same plane, able to make life-changing decisions quickly. Pivot, if you will. We're good at pivoting!

And so we decided about a month ago to return to the cruising life. We found a couple of good options (Catamarans) and settled on one in Florida where it would be much easier to get both us and our stuff onboard. We immediately began to prepare our house for sale, replacing the roof, cleaning up the property (fire hardening since we live in the Redwoods), and beginning the difficult task of unburdening ourselves of our possessions. No worries! We've done this before, right? Well, it's amazing how much stuff one can accumulate in 10 years! We've had two sales and multiple truckloads to the donation sites that are still thankfully taking stuff. We still have a small mountain of stuff.

I've been listing more stuff every day. Mostly on FB, but also giving stuff away on FreeCycle. FB just seems to be the easiest and I'm on so many of the Sellers groups already.

What to keep?
This is always the hardest question. We are triaging or staging things for 1) the Boat, and 2) Italy - for when we buy our property there in 2 years (or so). And both need to be kept in check. We must be mindful of the additional weight on board, and ultimately we plan to sail the bins of stuff for Italy over the Atlantic.

I liken this to prepping for a backpacking trip. Put out what you think you need and then cut it in half!

And so that's my focus this next week, along with some event work that I'm helping with, consulting/mentoring, and helping the hubby recuperate from his Knee Replacement last Tuesday!

Ain't Life Grand?
Yessiree!



Comments