S/V SweetEscape

with Your Cruising Editor

Boat Renaming Ceremony

Boat Renaming Ceremony:

It took us a few weeks but finally, we are no longer ‘Nauti-Nauti.’ Now we are officially S/V Sweet Escape! We have completed the official boat naming process to make us legal with the Coast Guard, and then we had Chad (Big Image Signs) print our new name & logo. We carefully removed the previous logos and then Chad applied the new artwork created for us by my friend & colleague Josh Grey. Today we removed all the traces of ‘Nauti-Nauti’ that we could find and went through the “highly technical” boat renaming ceremony. For those of you who are curious, we followed this basic outline, from the internet (pasted below). LONG LIVE SWEET ESCAPE!

Jann & I thank you for joining us today for our remaining ceremony.

Tomorrow will be our “official” maiden voyage for S/V Sweet Escape, as we head for The Keys and then on to The Bahamas!

We do this because we love Mother Earth and her vast oceans and seas, rivers and tributaries. We honor nature by committing to lowering our carbon footprint, and doing our part to protect our planet. (Just today, we sold our beloved Tacoma!) We also do this because we both love traveling and engaging in new cultures, making friends in far-off places, and exploring both land and sea. We invite you to sail with us, virtually via my sailing blog, or in person, if you’re able.


BOAT RENAMING CEREMONY...

ITEMS NEEDED:
• Branch of green leaves
• Champagne
• A poem to recite

Gather everyone at your boat with the aforementioned amenities and prepare to get poetic. Place the branch of green leaves on the bow. Green leaves symbolize safe returns and should stay on the bow for the ceremony and the maiden voyage. The most common verse to recite is an ode to Poseidon, and it goes as follows:
“Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, I implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (mention the old boat name), which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name, to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court.”
Then it’s time to pop some bubbly. It’s customary to break a champagne bottle against the bow, but no breaking bottles on our boat! (Gary!)
Now it’s time to begin the renaming ceremony. Repeat the following:
“Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, I implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (your new boat name), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation, and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court.”
Your new name is now in existence. The last thing before starting the engine is appeasing the four wind gods. This is another reference to Greek mythology as you’ll be addressing Boreas (north wind), Notus (south wind), Zephyrus (west wind), and Eurus (east wind). The aim here is not only to be delightfully redundant but also to ask for calm seas on your travels. If you’ve got friends and family with you, it might help to divvy up the verses to get everyone involved. Let’s get poetic (and repetitive).
Face north, throw some champagne out of your flute in that direction and say:
“Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.”
Now face west, repeating the champagne pour and toss while saying:
“Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.”
Face east, repeating the champagne toss while saying:
“Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.”
Finally, face south, pouring the champagne and tossing it while reciting, you guessed it:
“Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.”
Now that the speeches are out of the way, it’s time for the maiden voyage. Sharing of red wine is customary at the conclusion of the ceremony, but it may be best to save it until you return. You can now uncover the new boat name on the hull and board your passengers. Fire up the engine and take your place at the helm. If you’ve followed the above instructions you are officially on the Ledger of the Deep, so you can look forward to a lifetime of adventure with calm seas, good weather, and great memories. All ahead!”

More to come...


Comments