S/V SweetEscape

with Your Cruising Editor

Sweet Escape Blog Post #9

Jan 18, 2023

Playing the Waiting Game

We arrived at Marathon, Boot Key to be exact, on Monday.

It's been just over a month since we applied for our Coast Guard boat documentation. Since we chose to "Document" our boat, rather than register it here in Florida, we have to wait until we received said document before we can leave the country. It's on its way finally, and we will leave next week. Yay! (More on that below...)

I am usually a very patient person, but this was a very long wait and we are both chomping on the bit to get underway to the Bahamas. Those crystal clear waters and soft sand beaches are calling me stronger than ever. As a lover of salt water, it's been impossibly hard. I haven't been in the ocean since we arrived in Florida. Two cold fronts and questionable water quality have kept me out. Plus we've been rather busy. We're almost done with our shakedown cruise. Just the water maker system left. We can test it out this week where we are anchored, outside of Boot Key Harbor. With the wind out of the north again for the second week, it's a bit bumpy, but we're coping. The wind is just starting to turn a bit to the east which will help. Then we just have to endure the wakes from all the fishing boats that go in and out every morning and evening. There are still about 12 boats out here, but many have left already, probably due to the swell.

Yesterday, we took the dinghy into the City Marina and checked in. They charge $20/day to use the dinghy dock, laundry, showers, etc. There's a long waiting list for a mooring, so I guess we're on the hook outside for now. We'll scope out the harbor for a spot to anchor, but we're worried about all the crap that's on the bottom. There are still many boats scattered about in the mangroves on both sides. Probably dragged anchor during previous storms.

We met up with Michael, also visiting on a boat with his family. He bought the Tohatsu outboard since we bought Georges' Yamaha 15. We needed a bigger one, and so did Michael. We made back what we gave George and now everyone is happy!

We did some sightseeing in the dink, motoring all the way into the Harbor to see if there was a place to leave the dinghy while we provision at Publix. There isn't. But we did get to see some huge manatees.

Today we will take the local $8 taxi to West Marine and Publix so that we can do one more provision shop before we cross the Gulf Stream. I want to have enough stores for 3 months as everything is imported and expensive in the islands. We'll need to buy fresh veggies and fruit along the way, but that's it.

Lashings will continue until morale improves!

We're both feeling a touch defeated after the water maker test failed, and the generator overheated and turned off again. Fingers crossed that the new boost pump solves the water maker issue. Then we'll need to see if we can even diagnose the generator. So disappointing to know that these issues may cause our departure to be delayed once again. I keep reminding myself (and Jann) that this is our shakedown cruise - the time to test all our systems and gear and make sure it all works before leaving the country. We don't want to have to pay exorbitant prices to have parts shipped and imported!

I got to the hair salon today and the guy who did my hair would have fit right in back home. I heard his entire life story, how he grew up in Ohio and always loved makeup and clothes, designed clothes for a while, became a successful hair and makeup artist, and does weddings up and down the Keys. He loved hearing about Guerneville. Never heard of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, so I showed him a photo of Sparkle Plenty! He absolutely loved hearing my stories of living in Baltimore as a teen, in Temple Gardens, just a few floors above John Waters, where I saw my first drag queen up close and personal. And how I used to watch movies at John's apartment, sitting on Divine's (Glenn's lap)! He's involved with the local community theater and loves that. For those of you not familiar, here's who Divine was.

So I look less windblown now. (Sorry Vira, he didn't follow your color options).

Tomorrow we may motor into the harbor and attempt to anchor.

Update: We found a spot inside and after a few tries, get the hook down in a safe spot. Great practice for my close-quarters anchoring/helm control skills! We met some very chill sailors as we were trying to anchor next to them, and though we decided to move (too close for our comfort), they came by later to say hi. We asked them if they could help us take the seawater strainer off on the generator since neither Jann nor I can fit into that particular spot. Being more adept at Boat Yoga, the son Samual, was able to help and now the genset is working again! And we received our papers! It was a good day!


And here are some sunset photos for your moment of Zen.






Comments