Cruising with Grace

20 May 2018 | My kitchen, Needham MA
16 May 2018 | Mooring 831, Hewitts Cove, Hingham MA
04 May 2018 | Cape May harbor, off the Coast Guard base
25 April 2018 | Onancock Creek
10 April 2018 | Barefoot Landing Marina, which is free while they are closed
02 April 2018 | Turtle Island, just inside the border with South Carolina
26 March 2018 | St Augustine Municipal Marina, right next to the Bridge of Lions
22 March 2018 | ICW Mile 946
17 March 2018 | Old Bahama Marina, West End, Bahamas
11 March 2018 | Conch Marina, Marsh Harbor
04 March 2018 | Anchored off Russell Island next to Spanish Wells
24 February 2018 | Off Monument Beach, Stocking Island
18 February 2018 | Anchored off Stocking Island, across the harbor from Georgetown
11 February 2018 | Georgetown
04 February 2018 | Nassau Harbor Club Marina
28 January 2018 | In a slip at the Nassau Harbor Club Marina
19 January 2018 | Anchorage between Whale and Bird Cay
15 January 2018 | South of Frazier Hog Island
11 January 2018 | Browns Marina, Bimini, Bahamas
07 January 2018 | No Name Harbor, Key Biscayne

Whale Cay

19 January 2018 | Anchorage between Whale and Bird Cay
high 60s, broken clouds, 10-15 kt winds from the NE
Two days ago, we raised anchor, planning to move up the Berry Island chain. I was glad to move on from Frazier's Hog Cay. The previous day I'd explored it some and found it a bit eerie. The beach where I pulled in was in front of an abandoned beach front restaurant. I followed a road into the island, and found old construction equipment, including a large crane, rusting away. I also stumbled on to a small settlement of houses and buildings - all abandoned and open to go inside. I even saw a laundry room with washer and dryer, and laundry piled on a table. Although I didn't see anyone, I did at one point here a voice. Thinking it might be a duppy (west indian term for ghost), I quietly walked away, looking over my shoulder.

Wednesday, Faith Afloat and I headed out, with a target of Little Harbor Cay, where there is a well-known beach front restaurant and bar called Flo's Place. But as we turned to the northeast, the wind picked up to the high teens, and there were 4 ft swells on our nose. In order to get to the Little Harbor anchorage, we'd need to pass through a cut between islands. Our charts had a warning that under the wrong conditions (northeast winds and swells) the cuts would have something called a 'rage' - seas so rough they are like a washing machine, and regarded as 'impassable'. Sadly, we turned around, and then went to an anchorage between Whale and Bird Cay.

In one sense, we were stuck here - waiting for the weather to improve. But what a place to be stuck! We had a wonderful soft sand beach to ourselves. There was the remains of a gazebo with two lawn chairs. There were shells. The water was that fabled turquoise, due to the sand bottom.

(Note: beaches with lots of shells are dangerous. You can't move 5 ft before finding another special one and eventually your pockets (and your boat) get filled with shells!)

Yesterday, Tom and Luke from Faith Afloat, and I went exploring on some roads that went into the island. We met three separate people who live on Whale Cay - one West Indian, and the rest from Canada. They were each very hospitable, and said we were welcome to explore the original owner's mansion. One even said 'the doors are all locked, except by the kitchen, so go in that way'!

It's a small mansion, but still largely furnished inside - dinning room table and chairs, crystal chandeliers, four-poster beds, pictures on the walls, etc. There was the owner's side and the servants side. Take a look in the photo gallery to see it, as well pictures of another building we went into. The purpose of this other building - a round tower, with one large room surrounded by a balcony, is a mystery - perhaps some sort of religious one?

As nice as this spot is, there are more places we'd like to see, so we plan to try again today to move up the Berry Island chain.

Comments
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 320
Hailing Port: Needham MA
Crew: Alex Cullen
Extra: This trip will be my 'transition to retirement'
Grace's Photos - Main
44 Photos
Created 22 March 2018
From Dec 29th thru until March
100 Photos
Created 31 December 2017
September to December
93 Photos
Created 29 September 2017