Cruising with Grace

20 May 2018 | My kitchen, Needham MA
16 May 2018 | Mooring 831, Hewitts Cove, Hingham MA
04 May 2018 | Cape May harbor, off the Coast Guard base
25 April 2018 | Onancock Creek
10 April 2018 | Barefoot Landing Marina, which is free while they are closed
02 April 2018 | Turtle Island, just inside the border with South Carolina
26 March 2018 | St Augustine Municipal Marina, right next to the Bridge of Lions
22 March 2018 | ICW Mile 946
17 March 2018 | Old Bahama Marina, West End, Bahamas
11 March 2018 | Conch Marina, Marsh Harbor
04 March 2018 | Anchored off Russell Island next to Spanish Wells
24 February 2018 | Off Monument Beach, Stocking Island
18 February 2018 | Anchored off Stocking Island, across the harbor from Georgetown
11 February 2018 | Georgetown
04 February 2018 | Nassau Harbor Club Marina
28 January 2018 | In a slip at the Nassau Harbor Club Marina
19 January 2018 | Anchorage between Whale and Bird Cay
15 January 2018 | South of Frazier Hog Island
11 January 2018 | Browns Marina, Bimini, Bahamas
07 January 2018 | No Name Harbor, Key Biscayne

Windy

24 February 2018 | Off Monument Beach, Stocking Island
Sunny and hot. Wind about 12 kts here, but more across the harbor
It has been windy here for the past eight days - consistently around 20+ kts from the east northeast, east or east southeast. Per the weather report on the daily Cruisers Net call, these are 'Trade wind conditions' - the trade winds being the persistent winds that start in Africa and blow the width of the Atlantic.

Cruising life is very influenced by the weather. In our case, this wind creates waves. On the Exuma Sound side of Stocking Island, 6+ ft waves crash into the coral and rocky headlands, and sweep over the coral banks that lie right off the beach. Very impressive, but even more so when the tide is low, when the spent waves pour off the coral banks back into the sound. See the photo gallery for pictures of this. These 6+ ft seas, which have a short period (meaning they are close and steep) result in very rough sea conditions. Very few new arrivals, and almost no one leaving. These winds make smaller waves and chop in Elizabeth Harbor (the proper name for where we are), which can make for rolly anchoring. Because of this, almost all cruisers are anchored close to Stocking Island, which provides a wind shadow and much less rolling. In Georgetown, the wind is blowing 22 kts, but here it is around 14 kts and only the smallest of waves creating a gentle bobbing of Grace.

If we could just stay close to the Stocking Island beaches, this would be fine. But people have errands to do, and one frequent errand is to go across the harbor in our dinghies to go shopping and get water. This is always somewhat wet, but when you have dinghied under the bridge into Lake Victoria (the small pond that Georgetown surrounds) and need to come back, you will get soaked! The water is always very choppy, and I've had perhaps 5 gallons of water sloshing around in the dinghy after I've gotten back.

Laura really experienced the cruiser life this past week. She on her own dinghied to Stocking Island and explored the island, went to a water aerobics class she heard about on the morning Cruisers Net, and she and I had an extensive walk across the island to the Exuma Sound side, and then north where fewer people go. Long beaches, small coves and headlands with the waves crashing into them. Stocking Island has many paths criss-crossing it through the silver palm and sea grape trees - up to the monument, the beaches or the quiet cove by the (now abandoned) Peace and Plenty beach bar. We also spend a good amount of time sitting in the cockpit reading or snoozing. We had Tom and Luke over one night for spaghetti and a rummy card game, and went over to Faith Afloat for a rummy re-match.

Yesterday, Laura and I motored across the harbor and anchored off of the Exuma Yacht Club to make for a shorter dinghy run into Georgetown. We browsed, had lunch at a small cafe, and then her taxi came at 1:15 to take her to the airport. When I got back to Grace after doing some errands, I sat in the cockpit, and in a moment of poignancy thought 'well, I'm by myself and a single-hander again'. It has been really nice this past week with Laura, and before that with my two sons. I won't see them again for almost three months.

As I said two blog posts ago, this is as far south as Grace and I go. Tomorrow morning I raise the anchor, and along with Faith Afloat, start heading north. Destination in a few days: Spanish Wells in Eleuthera.
Comments
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 320
Hailing Port: Needham MA
Crew: Alex Cullen
Extra: This trip will be my 'transition to retirement'
Grace's Photos - Main
44 Photos
Created 22 March 2018
From Dec 29th thru until March
100 Photos
Created 31 December 2017
September to December
93 Photos
Created 29 September 2017