CrystalKeys' sail blog

Vessel Name: amizen
Recent Blog Posts
19 June 2012

volution of wedding dress to be on display



Wedding dress fashion is constantly changing, and there's a chance to see how it's evolved over the last few decades.The Aiken Christian Women's Network is holding an event in which several [...]

15 June 2012

Teen makes graduation dress from old homework

A Canadian teen was up late the night before graduation with a big pile of math homework.

23 May 2012 | usa

ECLECTIC BACKYARD WEDDING

How gorgeous + intimate was Star + Duncan’s ceremony in the woods!? And now for their super fun backyard reception!

16 May 2012 | usa

What is an LDR bride to do early on in the wedding-planning process?

What is an LDR bride to do early on in the wedding-planning process? Plan a registry! Looking for china patterns and comparing product reviews is easily done from across an ocean.

13 May 2012 | usa

I never really felt comfortable in my own skin

I never really felt comfortable in my own skin. I was shy, easily embarrassed, constantly worried about doing or saying the wrong thing—looking back, I think I really struggled with social anxiety and low self-esteem.

07 May 2012 | Cook Islands

in the Cook Islands for the wedding

The meeting

Teen makes graduation dress from old homework

15 June 2012
A Canadian teen was up late the night before graduation with a big pile of math homework.

But this student wasn’t doing algebra—she was doing something far more creating and sewing her old homework together. Huh?

Kara Koskowich, 17, stitched together some 75 pages to create a fabulous over-the-shoulder dress, far less expensive than the gowns she saw for sale in stores, according to CBC News.

Koskowich was cramming the night before so she could walk into graduation with her friend, Dorothy Graham, who made a dress from recycled plastic bags.

“It was actually funny because everyone was wearing these elegant dresses and we’re in dresses that cost nothing and we were the most popular people there,” Graham told CBC.

Communal dressing rooms are bad enough but I've always found that the dressing rooms in the lingerie section of department stores can be even more terrifying. Step into the lingerie shop at any department store and an "intimate fitting specialist"' will approach you. She will wear a measuring tape around her neck and without ever using it she will take one look at your chest and tell you your exact size. After discussing your needs she will bring an assortment of items to your dressing room to try on. She will also instruct you on exactly how to maneuver yourself into the item -- bend down, push up here and lift there. Sometimes the saleswoman stands in the doorway issuing commands with the dressing room door wide open. Other times she will enter and begin the hands-on process herself. Either way it is extremely awkward.

The only time I had an issue with a "fitting professional' was when I went to buy a sports bra and she brought me back a band of spandex. For a generously endowed post-50 woman like myself, that would not do. I realized though that it was not solely her fault. Manufacturers of sports bras do not know what to do with endowed women who work out -- either they provide the Brooklyn Bridge or a piece of spandex, neither of which serves my needs.

It is now just a few days away from graduation and I am excited to be able to celebrate this special event with my husband and four sons. I may not be a great shopper and I won't be dressed in a new outfit, but I will be surrounded by those I love and cherish, and that's the only dressing I need.
Comments

About & Links