19 July 2016
The east going flood was running in the CC Canal until 1000. So I left early, at 0620, and motored through the canal and was at the east end at 0745. I raised the main, the yankee and staysail and turned off the engine. I had a nice sail until 1015 when the wind shifted from the NNW to the N and then died. I ran the engine until 1300 when the wind picked up again at 10 knots from the ENE. It became quite light later, but I was able to sail almost all the way to Gloucester. I tried to contact the harbormaster to find out if there was a town mooring available. No answer on either the VHF or the phone number that was listed in the pilots. When I got to the mooring field I picked up an empty mooring that looked sturdy enough to hold Curlew (some moorings seemed to be in a state of neglect). Someone in a launch stopped by for a chat and after a lengthy and convoluted conversation it became clear that I was on a private mooring, but that the owner was away cruising. So I stayed for the night and nobody bothered me.