Monday 9/3 Labor Day - The day started cloudy but later it became sunny and warm. No wind at first. The flood in eastern Long Island Sound would not start until 1212 so there was no reason to leave very early. I decided to leave at 0830 which meant I would have some of the ebb against me, but then the rest of the 55 nm trip to Port Jefferson I would have a favorable flood current. It was again motoring for the first several hours, also to keep a reasonable speed over the ground against the current. But at 1550 the wind finally picked up. I turned off the engine and proceeded under full sail. Off Port Jefferson I had to wait for two ferries to clear the harbor entrance before I could enter. I dropped the anchor in my usual spot off Old Field Beach.
Under sail on a calm LIS
Tuesday 9/4 – I climbed the mast steps to the first set of spreaders. The bottom of the spreaders are getting dirty with, I presume, city grime from keeping the boat in Philadelphia and Baltimore. I don’t have steps higher up, so I could not clean the top spreaders. It was a very hot day, with no wind.
Sunset in Port Jefferson