Newfoundland back to New Bern North Carolina

We are on our way again.!!!!. This time it was hard to say goodbye to my 91 (92 October 25) year old mother but we had to see what this sailing thing is all about and I know if she could remember she would want us to do this too. I promised to talk to her frequently and video chat with her..... more for me than her as she has dementia and is well taken care off...




Thanks to my sister Diddie, brother in law Dan and the wonderful people who is in the home where she is she had a great birthday!!!!



So one final goodbye and Byron, Mark and I left Newfoundland October 10 to have a nice Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the fixings with Andrea. When we left home is was becoming even more beautiful with the changing of the leaves. But we were seeking heat this winter and wanted to head south for a different kind of beauty.



We had a comfortable ferry ride and a great ride through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Once we arrived at Andreas we were busy!! Between the chatting and cooking we managed to squeeze into her limo and explore more of New Brunswick by visiting Kings Landing. This is a must see!!





On October 14, we left to go to the USA. We thought it would be a great day driving as they did not celebrate our Thanksgiving Holiday therefore the highways would be good. We were mistaken!!. Many of the states celebrate that day as Columbus Day holiday and we experienced bumper to bumper traffic from Portland, Maine to West Haven, Connecticut and it was difficult to find a dog friendly hotel to stay in. Unfortunately this brought us too close to New York City and we spent 2 hours the next morning trying to go north away from NYC to head south!! The next night we went through the tunnel and stayed in Norfolk, Virginia. We had been there by boat so it was nice to have the perspective of driving the same areas we sailed. on our drive Byron managed to pick some cotton and then off to New Bern, North Carolina we go to see our baby C Whisper and Cathy and Brent!!!!


The boat was out of water at Bridgeton Boatworks where Mike and Ginny took great care of her. Thank god we had Mark to help us get her ready for the water. I found it too hard when we decommissioned her in August and I knew I needed help since Mark can now work circles around me (damn hypoglycemia). Oh well he was great to have and we really enjoy his company and I think he loves being with us lol. When she got back in the water we went back to New Bern Grand Marina where Jeremy and the boys accommodated us. We spent from October 18-25 getting the boat ready for our journey. While Byron and Mark focused on installation of a water maker and more technical things I provisioned... and poor Cathy cooked!!!

Provisioning was a big deal for me. Being fanatical about not wanting bugs on board everything that entered the boat that could be dipped in javex water did. All cans had labels taken off and dipped, all cardboard was removed and contents put in ziploc bags and airtight containers with bay leaves and cloves. They say it prevents cockroaches and ants... we shall see.



We did manage to get in some sightseeing in this beautiful city and state this time, as well as a night out on the town and a relaxing weekend with Cathy and Brent on the beach!!!



Once we were all clued up and many of our projects were completed off we went.

Of note here is how "out of the way" Cathy and Brent went for us. They drove us around and welcomed us into their house and condo. Cathy, the gourmet chef, had a meal for us every night. It was always delicious and the company was so enjoyable. We felt like royalty!!! THANK YOU!!!! We had so much fun with 2 of them that it made leaving hard. "Until we see you again our friends".

Duke also had a great experience at Jill's Pet Resort. While we were getting the boat ready to get it into the water he went to playtime there. The facility is absolutely beautiful and very clean. He was happy.



To follow our track go to the favorites link on the side. To see the pictures view the gallery.
I will try to respond to comments this time in the blog so others can see. If you don't see them in the blog I will continue to respond via email...all when I get service!!!

Comments