Big Majors to George Town

While still waiting on parts to come into Staniel Cay we go to the dump frequently and do some provisioning (since the mail boat has come in and stores are restocked!!).




We also follow the weather frequently and do the anchorages shuffle. We stay anchored in Big Majors for all winds except those with a westerly component. For westerly winds we go to the Tip of the Majors with 3 other boaters who have been doing this shuffle for years.


One evening the wind was suppose to change to the east in the middle of the night and since easterly winds, and its swell, is extremely uncomfortable at the Tip of the Majors I decided that we should come back to Big Majors early. Unfortunately when we came through the very narrow and boiling water cut that joins the Tip and Big Majors the winds still had a westerly component. The west winds lasted for hours before changing northerly. Anchoring in westerly winds in 3-4 foot seas with a gyrating motion on the boat was not fun. I anchored while on my knees and pretty well went back to the cockpit on my knees while having a death grasp on the lifelines. Upon reaching the cockpit I stayed there lying down for hours as I was nauseated. Thank god Byron did not say "I told you so" as he wanted to stay at the Tip of the Majors overnight but I insisted we leave. I wonder if I will learn from that ...... lol.



Our 8 hp dinghy engine was re-homed to a beautiful couple from Ontario/New Brunswick who are on their way to Dominican Republic. Ryan and Kyra from SV Yellow Bird were thrilled with their new dinghy!!!



Our last night in Big Majors was a hoot!! We gathered on SV Mahina (Michelle and Ian) with Dena and Terry from SV Khaleesi. We talked, laughed, joked and consoled. They all felt like family where you could let your hair down and "be a badass"!! We had met all of them numerous times on the cruisers beach and in Black Point and had a lot in common. Just say there was no problem with conversation and it was difficult to get a word in sometimes with numerous conversations happening at once with everyone tuned in to all!!! It was refreshing!!! What a beautiful life this is; meeting so many wonderful people...


Finally we left Big Majors!!! I literally had to get Byron moving as he fell in love with the place and the people. I did too but there is so much to explore!! The people are so friendly and giving. Our friend Ian (SV Stormy Weather) gave us the largest Caribbean lobster I had ever seen; it was delicious!!!. We even see a plane land on our way out.



Off we go to Little Bay on Great Iguana Cay in the rain. There was a beautiful rainbow over the castle when we got there. This cay was absolutely beautiful with a nice path for walking to the ocean. You could walk to Black Point if you desire but we only wanted to go frolic on the beach. It had a couple of beautiful beaches with lots of conch shells and coconut.




We left early in the morning to go through Galliot Cut. It was a little lumpy coming out of the cut as we had not timed the tides and current right. The sound had an easterly swell and just enough wind for the boat to be stabilized. The highlight of the sail was the Wahoo Byron caught. He had 2 yo-yos set up for fishing and when the Wahoo bit the hook the yo-yo jerked and Byron furiously hauled in the line. Just before he got the fish to the boat he saw a shark chasing after the fish. The result was a Wahoo with a broken tail !!!! It was delicious.




We were delighted and the endorphins continued until we had to enter the cut to Lee Stocking Island where we planned to spend the night. The endorphins ceased and fear set in...We surged sideways in the cut with reefs 0n both sides. It was scary. I was thinking that maybe I could stay there forever as I was petrified to come back out 😩😩😩. Once in the anchorage it was beautiful. We explored the area by dinghy and then went ashore to check out the abandoned Marine Research Center. It apparently closed in 2013. From what was left there it must have been an interesting and well equipped facility. The road to the buildings was still in good shape and the path with overgrown trees was gorgeous.




Unfortunately we had to leave and early the next morning we were off again; this time a little smarter and more cautious. We went behind SV Dream from Montreal that we had chatted with many times in Big Majors and we had timed it to go through the cut at high tide. It was so much better. There were 8 boats that paraded through the cut one after another.


The sail to Georgetown was beautiful. The swell had reduced from the day before and the winds were light. It was time for Byron to set up the yo-yo's again and low and behold he caught a large Mahi-mahi. This fish did not bite the lure as the Wahoo did and the lines did not jerk. He only knew he had it on after he pulled the line to see how much tension was on it. It was not until he was trying to get it into the boat did that fish fight. He was about 10 minutes getting it from a few feet into the transom into the boat. Byron was pretty sweaty after that workout.


We also had a visit from dolphins swimming with us at the bow of the boat. I was so excited. They stayed there for 10 minutes and were probably scared off by Dukes barking... I thought he was going to take flight like the dolphins!!!!


Coming into Georgetown was uneventful. There were so many boats anchored in all of the areas we had heard about. Initially we anchored by the Chat and Chill (the happening spot) and went by dinghy to Red Shanks to see if there was room for us. Red Shanks is a little out of the way but it provides all around protection from the wind. Otherwise the boats move back and forth across Elizabeth Harbour depending on the winds and I wanted to stay still for a little while instead of worrying about the winds. Lucky for us there were only 3 boats there and there was room for us. By the time we got to Red Shanks the tide was up and we could get in with our long draft!!! I was so happy that now we could relax, dinghy into town when we want, go to Chat and Chill when activities were on the go and explore. I truly believe that every day is a good day in Paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


To see our location please go to our favorites link!!


Comments