Roll me Profession (Sailor)!

02 October 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
31 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
26 May 2018
25 May 2018 | Treasure Cay Anchorage
24 May 2018 | Leeward Yacht Club
18 May 2018 | West End, Grand Bahama
17 May 2018 | Ft. Lauderdale Inlet
16 May 2018 | Lake Worth
15 May 2018 | Slightly North of Jupiter Inlet
14 May 2018 | Port Salerno
13 May 2018
12 May 2018
10 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin

Update

27 November 2017 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
Carly/Cool and Pleasant
The thing about liveaboard life is that there's not too much adventure to report on.
I think at some point we should switch over to another blog for our thoughts, because liveaboard life isn't always...well, SailBloggable. It's mostly stuff like "Carly took out all her Warhammer 40k Eldar figures she bought from a friend for $100 and wrote down what each and every figure was. They're all from the very first edition of WH40k, which makes them older than her by almost 10 years, and could easily be sold all together for at least $300."
But that just seems weird to post here y'know?
We haven't gone out on the boat for four reasons:
1. After tying lines for Irma, we didn't want to un-do and then re-do all of that.
2. Our halyard line is seriously wearing and meant we couldn't hoist the main sail. So just jib/screacher sailing.
3. It's been fookin hot out until recently.
4. Going out and coming back in...is a lot of work. And we're lazy.

However, 1-3 are now fixed. It's cool out, hurricane season is pretty much over, AND West Marine had a Black Friday sale on line. Half off per foot! So we're replacing the halyard this week. Didn't get a precise measurement, but given the mast is 40'5" tall (holy hell I went up FORTY feet in the air??? I thought it was only 35'! And, uh, 47' above land total I guess) we bought 85' and if we need to cut off some of it so be it (40 up, 40 down, should only need 81 feet). With that and a replacement for one of our dock lines, it still came to a little over $100. Wow.

There is one post I should've made, and it was our adventures attempting to install the ecobee3. When we're finished with all that I'll make a separate post. Essentially, smart thermostats require a C terminal that provides a constant 24VAC to whatever's connected to it, which most HVAC units have, but ours doesn't. The usual problem is that dumb thermostats don't require the C wire, so you have to do extra wiring...but we don't even have the TERMINAL to connect the wire to. So we have to figure out some wire-splitting shenanigans since it won't be getting a 24VAC from the HVAC unit, but from somewhere else in our grid. We've been kinda nervous about doing this. The finished post will be titled something like "Installing a Smart Thermostat with a MermaidAir" and it will be useful for any sailor that wants to install a smart thermostat and has a marine AC unit.
It's interesting that when talking about HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Condition) we also refer to VAC (Alternating Current Voltage). That's probably V subscript AC, but whatever.

As for Thanksgiving, no adventure this year. Just a quiet Thanksgiving with Shawn's family. We had considered hauling the boat out for painting, but we want to replace the thruhulls and have been having a hell of a time figuring out what sizes we should order. We'll have to haul out in Ft. Pierce, which is an hour drive away, so we want to have everything on us to get back in the water as quickly as we can. So we don't want to haul out until we have those thruhulls in our hands. We were still stumped on sizes, there's nothing in the manual! Nothing on the Gemini owner's yahoo group! But then Shawn's mom had a brilliant idea: Call Gemini and ask.
What a concept. D'oh!
We're doing that today if they're open and maybe we'll haul out for Christmas or something, I dunno. My company gives me a week off at Christmas time so it'd be ideal.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cyana
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Gemini 105MC
Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
Crew: Shawn and Carly
About: Two young nerds living on a sailboat for the first time permanently docked in Melbourne, FL with occasional island adventures.