Roll me Profession (Sailor)!

02 October 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
31 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
26 May 2018
25 May 2018 | Treasure Cay Anchorage
24 May 2018 | Leeward Yacht Club
18 May 2018 | West End, Grand Bahama
17 May 2018 | Ft. Lauderdale Inlet
16 May 2018 | Lake Worth
15 May 2018 | Slightly North of Jupiter Inlet
14 May 2018 | Port Salerno
13 May 2018
12 May 2018
10 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin

Honeymoon - Day 2

13 May 2018
Carly / Cool and Drizzling
Didn't have a great night of sleep. Despite both of us being Native Floridians it does take some time to get used to actually sleeping in the humidity. Your whole body feels sticky and gross. Bleh
Woke up a bit past sunrise. Got the anchor up with no fuss and were on our way. Made a delicious pancake breakfast. We will probably be having pancake breakfasts for most of the trip since we have a lot of high protein pancake mixes sitting around for some reason. Now's a good time to get rid of em!
For those of you unfamiliar with cruising, most of the day is spent sitting at the helm checking course, making sure you don't run into anything (like crab traps) and cursing at powerboats as they go full plowing speed next to you and things fall down in their wake.

Today something interesting did happen though! One of the rudder lines was cut. I took the helm while Shawn fixed the problem. It looks like a barnacle grew in one of the rotatey wheel thingies and cut the line from rubbing against it. Shawn had to sit in the back and do some McGuyvering with zip ties and drain snakes in order to put the line back together, and his back was hurting at the end of it from all the weird angles. As a reminder - we did this while underway! Glad we managed to fix it though, since not having rudders would seriously hinder our maneuverability. And as a catamaran we're in the lowest tier of maneuverability behind monohulls and powerboats. We need all the help we can get!

We're currently anchored between the Jensen Beach Bridge and the one right after that. We need to do the crossing in the morning, so we'll likely pass on west palm beach and go further south to Fort Lauderdale to make the crossing. Having so much daylight is just amazing! We can make pretty good progress even with wind right on the nose. Again.

We've been debating on whether to go to Grand Bahamas or Bimini. Shawn wants to shoot for Grand Bahamas since it's a much larger target than Bimini and this is our first crossing. We believe we have Bahamian charts on the GPS, but better to be safe than sorry. Grand Bahama is a hard target to miss!

We hope to find other cruisers at the crossing point and join them. No idea how we'll actually tag up and communicate but we'll figure it out.

Weather was simply perfect today, but we're weird and prefer cool overcast and drizzle to clear sunny days. I still managed to get a sunburn on my leg somehow. My snow white skin is just great that way I guess?
Comments
Vessel Name: Cyana
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Gemini 105MC
Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
Crew: Shawn and Carly
About: Two young nerds living on a sailboat for the first time permanently docked in Melbourne, FL with occasional island adventures.