Roll me Profession (Sailor)!

02 October 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
31 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
26 May 2018
25 May 2018 | Treasure Cay Anchorage
24 May 2018 | Leeward Yacht Club
18 May 2018 | West End, Grand Bahama
17 May 2018 | Ft. Lauderdale Inlet
16 May 2018 | Lake Worth
15 May 2018 | Slightly North of Jupiter Inlet
14 May 2018 | Port Salerno
13 May 2018
12 May 2018
10 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin

Treasure Cay - Day 15

26 May 2018
Woke up pretty late - 8am. I know, that's pretty impressive.

Made breakfast and Shawn checked on the dinghy engine to get it started only to have the fuel line break.
Womp womp.

Thankfully due to a funny YouTube video (https://youtu.be/8ci2hj7CSHI) we were informed of magical Flex Tape and bought a few rolls before we left, so we patched up the broken line and let it set for a bit
YouTube saves us again!

Surprisingly it did actually work and we went to Treasure Cay. Walked around a bit, went to the gift shop and chatted with the owner a bit, explored the other shops and successfully located the liquor store - which did indeed have Strong Back!
They have a surprisingly large grocery store on the island, so we thought we'd come back later to stock up some more.

Went to the beach and walked around a bit. Very nice powdery sand, I can see why this area is so popular - but man, has it just been ruined by the rich. The restaurants within walking distance of the dinghy dock are just too fancy and expensive for our tastes. The Cafe didn't even have prices on the menu. There's a good rule about that - if you have to ask, it's too much.

We asked the gift shop owner if he knew of a good place to eat, where the locals ate kind of deal. He thought for a bit and asked us if we had a golf cart or a car. We told him we didn't, and he asked Shawn for his driver's license. Confused, Shawn handed it over and the owner gave us the key to a car saying, "There's a great place just up the road. Creative Hands. I rent out cars and need this back by 12:30 for someone else to rent. Remember to drive on the left."

We thanked him profusely and went in the little Honda Airwave, which was indeed a right hand drive as we forgot. We turned it on and it greeted us with a Japanese phrase. (I later read the Airwave was a Japan-only car that must've been exported to the Bahamas. Weird!)
The restaurant/bakery was just 2 miles up the road, quite the walk but a short jaunt in a car. Ordered our food, took it out, drove back without fuss and returned the car. We found a little picnic table nearby to sit down and enjoy our lunch. And damn, it was good. We finally got a loaf of Bahamian bread and enjoyed cheap, delicious food. Omnomnom
We need to figure our a bike mount for the dinghy for next time.

Took showers for the day and then went to the liquor store to pick up Strong Back. I'll leave the amount we got a mystery, but we definitely needed Strong Arms to walk it all the way back to the dinghy.

Dinghied back and decided that we didn't really need groceries here, we could pick them up later on Green Turtle or Coopers Town. The cardboard on one of the boxes practically melted due to the water so... Uh... Hope we don't have beer everywhere. Hmm.

Made the journey to No Name Cay for the night, which went by without anything exciting happening (good).
No Name Cay is uninhabited by humans, but is host to Piggyville where semi-wild pigs roam about. It's pretty cute. There's a water tank filled for them and tourists feed them whatever. The fancy Yacht club we stayed at apparently saves their restaurant's kitchen scraps and sends them to Piggyville.

So we went ashore to feed the pigs! They didn't like our fries much, but seemed to enjoy the bag of doritos someone else left on the island. They also don't seem to like being pet, and one of them while feeding bit Shawn hard enough that he started bleeding. But we got to feed the cutest little piglets!!

There's something strange and amusing about the sight of pigs alongside a mound of coconuts and the gentle lapping waves of the beach.

We'll visit them again in the morning and see what we want to do with the rest of the day after we wake up.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cyana
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Gemini 105MC
Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
Crew: Shawn and Carly
About: Two young nerds living on a sailboat for the first time permanently docked in Melbourne, FL with occasional island adventures.