Roll me Profession (Sailor)!

02 October 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
31 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
26 May 2018
25 May 2018 | Treasure Cay Anchorage
24 May 2018 | Leeward Yacht Club
18 May 2018 | West End, Grand Bahama
17 May 2018 | Ft. Lauderdale Inlet
16 May 2018 | Lake Worth
15 May 2018 | Slightly North of Jupiter Inlet
14 May 2018 | Port Salerno
13 May 2018
12 May 2018
10 May 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin

Ah yes, we have a blog! Forgot about that.

02 October 2018 | Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
Carly / Finally feels like fall
We haven't taken Cyana out since our journey in May. A strange hurricane season and the intense heat hasn't encouraged us to make repairs to go out again. There are still a variety of little things broken here and there.

Shawn made a fascinating port-mounted air conditioning housing that's gorgeous. Did all the fiberglass work himself, and since that wall shaker was left over from a previous house the overall cost of the project was pretty low. Saved our butts this summer. Barnacles seem to coat everything in the marina in a far thicker coat than last year, and clogged the main AC multiple times. Most of the time it was fixable without going in the icky water, but once or twice Shawn had to go in to declog.

Recently both our seawater intake and freshwater tank valves broke, so we went for a "never going to have to fix this sh*t again" upgrade. Tough Groco fittings for the seawater, and a Delta shower valve for the freshwater. The shower valve means we can have the system draw from our port and starboard tanks equally rather than having to switch from one tank to the other. Pretty nifty! And we put some cool diamond steel plates on, so the whole setup looks much nicer than before. And it shouldn't break anytime soon.

Remember how I complained before about air in the water pipes? Maybe I didn't here. Anyway about it, it was annoying to wash dishes or work with the tap for anything more than a few minutes because air would cause water to come out in random bursts from the sink. We thought it was a crack in the pipes, but since replacing the valve the water has been running wonderfully! So strange...

Electrical system still appears to be weird. Bathroom and bedroom lights are basically unusable (can still sometimes use the bathroom one by aggressively slapping it). We replaced both fairly recently and they're LEDs, so that says there's something wrong with our wiring. Hmm.

We still haven't fixed the engine. At some point we're going to do some fuel polishing, and soon, since we want to haul out and finally do the bottom paint (hopefully Thanksgiving). Which means time to get better bottom fixins! Going to go north to Cape Canaveral on a neighbor's suggestion of a DIY haul-out marina there he used for his much larger catamaran. Beautiful boat, a Fountaine-Pajot. Comfy enough to be the next vessel if we can find a slip for it. Definitely put that on the list next to the Prout Quasar.

The jib also still needs the edge resewn. While we haven't done that yet, a friend is teaching us to sew, and then we can use Kevin's Sailrite to do that. EGYB recently added AC to the clubhouse, so that'll be a nice place to work on the jib when we feel like doing that. I know it's just a straight line (well...a straight Z-line?), but I want to be comfortable with sewing before taking it to a large piece of canvas.

Still haven't put the screacher back up. Just need a weekend and extra person. And the willpower to do something other than loaf around the house. Heh.

The anchor is going to stay bent, I guess. There are ways we can fix it but I think they'll question its structural integrity. The dinghy engine hasn't been looked at and maybe won't be. Probably just want to get a new one. Sigh. Same catamaran neighbor warned us off the propane-powered dink engine idea, he's known several people with them and they're apparently awful. Good to have that expensive dream crushed sooner than later. We have no incentive to fix the solar panel, so we probably won't for a while.

On non-boating topics, we recently switched to the local rock climbing gym! It's been a ton of fun. And butt-kicking. And perhaps useful for being less afraid when hoisted up 40 feet or so as I think we'll have to do to reattach sails. Maybe someday we'll travel to islands with cliffs and climb them with the skills and gear we acquire now. Who knows what the future will bring?
Comments
Vessel Name: Cyana
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Gemini 105MC
Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
Crew: Shawn and Carly
About: Two young nerds living on a sailboat for the first time permanently docked in Melbourne, FL with occasional island adventures.