Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Reedville and a family visit

15 October 2016
After a super quiet night at anchor in Spring Cove we were greeted with a little early morning fog in the river, however it cleared up completely as we hit the bay. Once again a beautiful day to travel the 35 miles to Reedville as we motored sailed in a light southerly breeze. The genoa gave us an extra knot of speed so we reached the harbour around 3 pm., after once again dodging crab pots and staked fish nets. We will be visiting my mother's cousin, who lives in nearby Ophelia so we decided to stay at a marina while we are here. With the help of the Active Captain website we chose a great spot with brand new docks and a good 2 day rate. With ample fresh water at the dock Dagny will be getting a well deserved fresh water bath.

Judy and Lynton arrived around 5 for a visit and a tour of the boat before we headed out for dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. Go figure, we're in the heart of fresh crab country, but the power was out and the only restaurant that was open was Mexican. However, crab meat tacos are pretty good! Once we had a chance to catch up with family news, Judy who is a marine biologist and Lynton a retired university prof. and passionate about science, we headed back to the boat

Lynton picked us up at 10:30 Friday morning and we headed out for a visit of the Fisherman's museum. Reedville is home of the largest fish rendering plant in the USA for Menhaden and the local museum has a great display documenting it's history. Menhaden is a source for Omega used in fertillizer, pet foods and many other products. As well as the main display, the museum had a few restored fishing boats on static display, a small boat building shed and an impressive model train exhibit. We were fortunate to have Lynton as our guide and we enjoyed a thorough and informative tour. With the power restored we enjoyed a fresh crabcake lunch overlooking the harbour. On our way back to Ophelia we toured a salt marsh and saw first hand the effects of global warming; the water level is rising and the land is sinking. Our day ended with a visit to Lynton's small oyster growing operation and a relaxing dinner of fresh crab linguine and garden fresh vegetables. What a wonderful way to end an amazing day!

We plan on heading across the bay on Saturday to visit Tangiers, which is an island slowly sinking into the bay.

Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On